Sold As: Light Brahma Bantam, But...

theadvocate19

Songster
6 Years
Apr 8, 2013
Brooksville, Florida
So my favorite chicken is a complete mystery to me. Got her from a local feed store in a "bantam straight run" cage. The girl did a pretty good job of guessing Brahma, but she also looks kinda like a Cochin... so she's got me perplexed. She lays smallish white eggs fairly frequently.

Well, I'm not quite sure how to answer your question, but I just posted about my little mystery chick and it seems like he might be the same as your bantam here. I was told silver laced Cochin for mine. Good luck and thanks for allowing me to see how mine might end up looking. Thanks! :)

Looks like a Seabright to me.
I mean no disrespect, but I'd have to disagree. Sebrights are clean legged (this bird has feathers on her feet), they have rose combs (this bird has a single comb--rose combs are small, flat combs), they have close feathering (this bird has loose, fluffy feathering), and their body type is delicate and small (this bird is wide and large).

I mean no disrespect, but I'd have to disagree. Sebrights are clean legged (this bird has feathers on her feet), they have rose combs (this bird has a single comb--rose combs are small, flat combs), they have close feathering (this bird has loose, fluffy feathering), and their body type is delicate and small (this bird is wide and large).

yeah, you're right.
smile.png

Well thank you all! I kinda thought silver laced Cochin. But I could've swore Cochin were supposed to lay brown eggs? Thank you wyandottes7. Aren't these similar to wyandotte without the fury legs? Nessabella I will check your picture out too.

Thanks everybody!

Well thank you all! I kinda thought silver laced Cochin. But I could've swore Cochin were supposed to lay brown eggs? Thank you wyandottes7. Aren't these similar to wyandotte without the fury legs? Nessabella I will check your picture out too.

Thanks everybody!
Yeah, I think that Cochins are supposed to lay brown eggs. However, in my experience, bantams that lay brown eggs often lay lighter brown eggs than large fowl. She might also not be purebred--if you got her at a feed store, she's probably hatchery quality. Many hatchery birds don't quite fit the definition of the breed they are supposed to represent. For example, many hatchery Silkies have four toes or unfeathered legs.

Silver laced cochin. My bantam cochins lay cream colored eggs.

Cochins and wyandottes aren't really that similar, I think you're just thinking that due to the same color (wyandottes do come in silver laced also).

Yes, you have a Silver-Laced Cochin Bantam. Cochins do lay brown eggs, but not very dark ones(or at least mine don't)--more of a cream color. So I think it would be possible for them to lay white or nearly white eggs. Pretty bird!

Back
Top Bottom