Sold my flock. Starting with a new breed!! But which one???

aShMaNv

Songster
11 Years
Jul 9, 2010
Choctaw, OK
Hello everyone. Its been a while since i have been on here. I recently just sold my flock and am wanting to start a new one. My last flock was a production flock, but now I want a flock for fun more than for productivity. However i cant decide now which breed i want to get.
hmm.png
I narrowed it down to Black Copper Marans, Welsummer, Ameraucana, Cochins, or Rhode island reds. What do you guys think?

Well, if you are looking for a challenge, go with the Black Copper Marans! Much work to do within the breed, but I love these chooks! They are full of personality, plus, if you get the stock from a decent breeder, you get the awesomely dark colored eggs! Good luck with your search!
big_smile.png

Ameraucanas, and Cochins although cochins cannot be on mud at all because of their feathered feet, mud can cause little dirt balls to form, other than that they are so sweet ameraucanas too!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
How about Icelandics, or Iowa Blues or some other heritage breed?Everybody seems to be in the BCM's, Wellies, ee's and from what I've heard RIR's are mean,(just what I've been told) IMHO
hide.gif
but I'm not an expert and it's still up to YOU!! I like my bantams!!!

Quote:
Ameraucanas have LOADS of personality, plus have colorful eggs and cool facial features. Welsummers are gorgeous, great personalities, and really sweet. I adore cochins - sooo relaxing to be around and easy going. They come in lots of colors and of course two sizes.
Not knocking RIR's or marans at all, just my two humble cents on breeds you mentioned. For myself I'd choose modern game bird bantams for pure enjoyment. I have nine hens and couldn't part with a one of them. They are my little angels and never, ever fail to make me pause and smile. I could have fifty of them and would love each and every one.
smile.png

Ameraucanas and Wellies, you can have both as long as you only keep a roo from the Ameraucana, then the wellie babies will be Olive eggers and the Ameraucanas pure.

I say get some nice mahogany RIR. Not hatchery. They are gorgeous... Gt the Rosecomb RIR!

Otherwise I say Ameraucana or FBCM (French Black Copper Marans) What color Ameraucana? I say go for Lavender project. There are some great breeders on here if you want hatching eggs. I know CRYSTALCREEK, happymtn, muggsmagee, umm... We'll tons of others that I can't seem to think the name of right now.

Wynette has great FBCM's.

If you're going for hatchery than sorry to hijack. In that case I have no recommendations.

In my limited experience, I love the blue copper marans I have now and I loved the black coppers that I had. They are soooo sweet and have such individual personalities. I don't have any experience with the others but I hear they are great in their own ways, too. If you could, just get all of 'em!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom