Sold the wrong chicken! And a question.

Carolyn227

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 30, 2011
Our neighbor's hens stopped laying and we wanted to cut down the number of hens in our flock, so we sold him 3 hens- one RIR, one EE and one Buff. My younger daughter was in the bath at the time and we gathered the hens. Apparently we sold her beloved hen! She was in tears. I can't tell them apart, but obviously she can! Fortunately, neighbor was very understanding and traded out the hens.

Now for the question. We adopted a hen from my husband's brother after they were attacked and a hen and chick were killed. The one we have is the only survivor. I've posted about her before. I've been told to wait it out, she'll get better, but she's still extremely timid and she still hasn't laid an egg, about two months later. Will she ever lay again? She was a good layer before the attack. I'm not sure what to do about her. The kids love her.

Hi
I am the only one in family who can tell the hens apart, and what eggs they lay so don't worry lol :) we have a white leghorn who was attacked by a friends dog. She flew over the fence despite her wings being clipped and the dog chased her. Luckily I was able to separate the two quickly. Daisy the hen ran under the deck and stayed their for a few hours to recover from her shock. Nowadays she is still timid and wary of our dog even though she would never hurt a fly. Daisy still lays every day though. What colour is the hens comb? Is it a bright red? How old is the hen? Maybe she is at the end of her laying life, or was so traumatized by the attack it affected her reproductive system. I would wait a little longer just to see if there is any progress. Good luck and I hope this has helped :)

Hi!
I don't have any advice, sorry, but something similar happened at our 4-H flock! A raccoon killed 19 hens except ONE. It stayed in the nest box for weeks after that, then it finally started coming out. It seriously was traumatized.
Unfortunately it did die later and we don't know why.
I hope yours has better luck! Best wishes

Back
Top Bottom