sole survivor

Sghani

Hatching
May 30, 2022
Five out of six of my chickens were killed by a predator. The survivor has a deep wound on her back but is still alive after 3 days of me cleaning it twice a day. The wound is into the muscle and the size of my palm. She was being pecked at by her flock before the attack and also has some bald areas from that around her tail and on her belly. I'm starting to look for a new flock for and am reading that introduction of a single chicken can be tricky.
My questions are: is if she is likely to be accepted into a new flock if she was having trouble with her old flock before?
And if yes, when would she be able to do that? Does she need all her feathers regrown?
It would be helpful to know if she can recover and be accepted or if we need to put her down.

When you say that you're looking for a new flock for her, do you mean you're hoping to find an established flock that needs a new home (yours?) OR are you talking about getting little's or randomly adopting full grown hens? Roosters? So many different dynamics could equal different integration plans. But my basic instinct is to get her as well as can be before you introduce anyone. If it's been 3 days, that's really great she's probably not in shock anymore. But to go through the stress of being attacked and then another stress of being pecked and bullied, you do probably want to wait a bit even though being alone isn't a chicken's favorite way to be either. Poor thing, what is her breed/age? You must be doing a good job of helping her to recover đź’›

Five out of six of my chickens were killed by a predator. The survivor has a deep wound on her back but is still alive after 3 days of me cleaning it twice a day. The wound is into the muscle and the size of my palm. She was being pecked at by her flock before the attack and also has some bald areas from that around her tail and on her belly. I'm starting to look for a new flock for and am reading that introduction of a single chicken can be tricky.
My questions are: is if she is likely to be accepted into a new flock if she was having trouble with her old flock before?
And if yes, when would she be able to do that? Does she need all her feathers regrown?
It would be helpful to know if she can recover and be accepted or if we need to put her down.
You can try getting chicks, letting them grow up a bit and her heal a bit before doing supervised introductions through a fence. It isn't impossible.

My one and only introduction rule. Give them enough space to get away. Then so be it. Never had an issue with greater than 100sqft per bird during the day.

It's odd how they are gladiators in the day and cuddle together at night.

It can be done, I introduced a single hen to my year old hens. A good long "look but don't touch" intro behind wire is the best method. If you get young pullets she might even end up becoming head honcho. Good luck, make sure she is fully healed first.

By new flock I meant giving her away to someone else with chickens. I'm worried that if she lives, she will need a long time to recover than then have trouble being excepted.

By new flock I meant giving her away to someone else with chickens. I'm worried that if she lives, she will need a long time to recover than then have trouble being excepted.
OH okay that makes sense. But it's the same either way, you'd have to give her to someone willing to let her get healed enough that she won't suffer a bunch of cannibals. They really do go after any sign of blood. Or if you can keep her until she's healed up, at then re-home her. Unfortunately you're right that she has odds stacked against her if you're looking to introduce her as injured, to a new flock....

Back
Top Bottom