Solid walls for run to hide chickens from neighbors

MadAngler

Songster
Apr 14, 2014
My Coop
My Coop
My hen house and run are framed:

I was planning on using T111 siding for the hen house and just hardware cloth for the run.

BUT...
Chickens aren't officially welcome in my subdivision. So I was thinking of just putting T111 around the entire thing and making the coop look like a 6'x10' shed.

I would leave the bottom 2 feet open with hardware cloth. Due to the location of my shed, the bottom isn't really visible. I also planned on havign several bigger windows in the run area.

What do you think?
Has anyone done this?
Will the chickens get claustophobic?

They lay eggs based on the daylight they are exposed to. Perhaps you can run the t111 up halfway of the run. Or wall off only the sides that could be visible to others?

Chickens need a lot of sun, along with fresh air. I don't know where you live, or how hot it gets. But keeping them confined in, more or less a closed building, is asking for problems. As far as hiding the birds from your neighbors, you will find, even without a rooster, chickens can make plenty of noise. They will be heard.

You won't be fooling anyone, chickens will make enough noise to alert everyone of their presence. It looks like your yards are huge. I'd just put the coop in the most secluded part or what will block the noise most from your neighbors. Are chickens illegal?

Maybe talk to your neighbors, they may not care.

Last edited:
So, what are you really saying? Chickens are not ALLOWED in your sub division? Or: My neighbors might not like having chickens living next door to them? If they are not allowed, then you're asking for trouble. You might get away with it, and you might not. If it's just a neighbor issue, then I'd not worry about it. Your coop and run are beautiful. Chickens need and appreciate the sun just the way we do, and they are even more dependent on the sun than we are. They require it for their laying cycle, vitamin D and Melantonin manufacture, and just a general sense of well being. If your neighborhood allows dogs, chickens will not be any noisier or smellier than the average dog. One thing that you should do is put a hardware skirt around the bottom of your coop/run. Any number of predators can work their way under it: coons, fox, dogs, coyotes, weasels. Living in a sub division does not restrict these predators from coming to snack on your pets. You'd be surprised what lurks around your neighborhood when you're sleeping!!!

So, what are you really saying? Chickens are not ALLOWED in your sub division? Or: My neighbors might not like having chickens living next door to them? ...
Lazy,
My neighborhood has a covenant that says that animals are not allowed. BUT. We don't have a neighborhood committee or anyone else to officially complain to. Also, most folks disregard the covenant and park campers/boats in their yards. No one seems to care. And again, there is no one to complain to if someone did care.

My closest neighbors will still clearly know that we have chickens. But I think my wife was hoping for two things out of the camouflage: 1: Make it less visible to close neighbors. 2. Make it invisible to distant neighbors. With the hard walls, most of the neighbors would think that it is just a shed.

My wife really wants chickens. But she is also a devout rule follower. So I am trying to make it easier for her to relax and enjoy her chickens...

My hen house and run are framed:

I was planning on using T111 siding for the hen house and just hardware cloth for the run.

BUT...
Chickens aren't officially welcome in my subdivision. So I was thinking of just putting T111 around the entire thing and making the coop look like a 6'x10' shed.

I would leave the bottom 2 feet open with hardware cloth. Due to the location of my shed, the bottom isn't really visible. I also planned on havign several bigger windows in the run area.

What do you think?
Has anyone done this?
Will the chickens get claustophobic?

I'm not through with mine, but that's what I did. If you look at it, it looks like a shed and if I get my privacy fence back up across the back, those neighbors won't be able to see the coop at all.

Back
Top Bottom