Solitary Chicken

May 17, 2017
Hi everyone, I have a chicken that was raised alone (my ex brought her home when she was a few days old randomly one day since I like baby animals, so after keeping her in the house hidden-since we werent allowed to have pets at the time- she became very attached to people. Unfortunately I didn't realize how much of a mistake that was since she now doesn't know how to get along with chickens-I've tried introducing her to another flock which ended poorly and even introducing her to chicks so that they could be her new friends but she just pecked at them and picked on them too much)...anyways, my new dilemma is that I worry she is bored in her coop alone and I feel bad that she doesnt have much to entertain herself! I used to let her out more to socialize with people, since she loves that, but the landlords dogs have attacked her so I'm too afraid to let her roam free too often. She has a large coop I've built for her with perches and room to jump around and nest, but I feel like she gets so little stimulation during the day!
Any ideas on fun treats she may enjoy or toys she might play with to give her something to do?

Thank you!
Vanessa, Peep's Proud but uneducated mama

First dont put human emotions on the Chicken..:th..It takes time for Chickens to except other Chickens..Pecking order needs to be established first...Look no touch pen for a week or so and then let them out together to figure things out themselves.....
What looks mean to us is normal flock introduction to the Chicken....

Best wishes....:frow

Cheers!

welcome to BYC.
Chickens are flock animals...they are not meant to live "alone"
Get her some buddies.

First dont put human emotions on the Chicken..:th..It takes time for Chickens to except other Chickens..Pecking order needs to be established first...Look no touch pen for a week or so and then let them out together to figure things out themselves.....
What looks mean to us is normal flock introduction to the Chicken....

Best wishes....:frow

Cheers!

I read in another forum that chickens raised alone (since being very young) do not get along well with other chickens as they do not understand the social cues/signals that 'normal' chickens use to communicate. When I introduced her to other chickens in the past she was terrified and ran from the other chickens then jumped on my shoulder and refused to get down when they got too close (which is why she lives alone currently rather than with my landlords flock). But, even with a friend, I would still feel like they would need some stimulation in the coop as I can't let them out all too often. Any toys or treats you guys like?

They sell treat balls but you can make your own with an empty water bottle with holes poked in it. I also saw bigger treat balls that you stuff lettuce or other greens in it. The chickens love it! :)

Back
Top Bottom