*solved* Chickens Crossing The Road! HELP!!

I know this idea is a fence idea and I'm not sure if this is available in Maine but in Wisconsin we have a lot of businesses that have pallets that are free after they are done using them. There are some neat ideas of pallet runs on google and if they are free and available, your family would most likely love that. My cousin was able to make her entire coop out of free pallets.

I know this idea is a fence idea and I'm not sure if this is available in Maine but in Wisconsin we have a lot of businesses that have pallets that are free after they are done using them. There are some neat ideas of pallet runs on google and if they are free and available, your family would most likely love that. My cousin was able to make her entire coop out of free pallets.
My family does have pallets it's just that my dad has them for other purposes. Also my parents don't want the chickens in a run. They want them to kill the mice and eat up all the bugs.

My family does have pallets it's just that my dad has them for other purposes. Also my parents don't want the chickens in a run. They want them to kill the mice and eat up all the bugs.
The run idea would only be while you were at school. Then you could let them out when you get home to roam and take care of all the unwanted critters.
If you can find enough pallets you could make a big run area.
My cousin got all the free pallets from local businesses, she called them to reserve them, she also posted want ads on facebook for free lumber for a pig pen, free pallets for a chicken coop, free old windows for who knows what. This may also be an option if your Dad has the current pallets spoken for.
Otherwise, I have no additional ideas as to how to stop a chicken from crossing the road. I'm sorry. BTW I love the title, it is a perfect why did the chicken cross the road line.

The run idea would only be while you were at school. Then you could let them out when you get home to roam and take care of all the unwanted critters.
If you can find enough pallets you could make a big run area.
My cousin got all the free pallets from local businesses, she called them to reserve them, she also posted want ads on facebook for free lumber for a pig pen, free pallets for a chicken coop, free old windows for who knows what. This may also be an option if your Dad has the current pallets spoken for.
Otherwise, I have no additional ideas as to how to stop a chicken from crossing the road. I'm sorry. BTW I love the title, it is a perfect why did the chicken cross the road line.
Good news is that when school starts I am going to talk to my friend about taking them. They are just way to stress inducing for me. I might be able to butter my parents a bit into allowing me to keep them in the coop for one day. But only that.

Do you ever give the chickens vegetables? Extra vegetables from my garden seem to keep my flock occupied. They love tomatoes, squash, pumpkins, sunflower seeds.

I also have a rooster who keeps the ladies close to the coop.
Sorry didn't notice your post till now. I give my chickens a bit of vegetables. From time to time. All these chicks want to do is see the world. No time to eat is their moto or at least they act like it is.

That’s correct! A rooster does make a huge difference on wandering hens.
I do have a rooster. He takes care of the flock pretty well. It is just that these chicks, even though they have been in the same area of the other chickens for 5 months. They just don't want to merge their flocks together.

Sorry didn't notice your post till now. I give my chickens a bit of vegetables. From time to time. All these chicks want to do is see the world. No time to eat is their moto or at least they act like it is.
Sometimes chickens are like stubborn teenagers, we all know or knew someone like this. They want to do things their way and they just want to get to the other side.

Out of curiosity, how many hens do you have for that one rooster? I'm wondering if there are too many stubborn hens for this one guy to control. Usually the rule is ten hens per rooster. But your hens like to separate into two groups, that's tough for one guy to control.

Sometimes chickens are like stubborn teenagers, we all know or knew someone like this. They want to do things their way and they just want to get to the other side.

Out of curiosity, how many hens do you have for that one rooster? I'm wondering if there are too many stubborn hens for this one guy to control. Usually the rule is ten hens per rooster. But your hens like to separate into two groups, that's tough for one guy to control.
He doesn't even think about these new four. Ignores them. They even sleep on exact opposite sides of the coop.
He has 7 full grown hens and 3 sons and 3 daughters that are still young. 5 of the chicks are drifters they will spend half of the day hanging out with the main flock and will spend the other time running around the yard eating bugs. Besides egg laying time the adult hens are always by him.

He doesn't even think about these new four. Ignores them. They even sleep on exact opposite sides of the coop.
He has 7 full grown hens and 3 sons and 3 daughters that are still young. 5 of the chicks are drifters they will spend half of the day hanging out with the main flock and will spend the other time running around the yard eating bugs. Besides egg laying time the adult hens are always by him.
I get that they sleep on opposite sides of the coop, I have Easter Eggers most of them are all colors and I have two that are cream colored. When I first got them the cream colored ones stayed on one side while everyone else huddled together as far away as possible. This eventually stopped but on their own terms.
I'm hoping these chicks figure it out and it is good you have a backup plan to re-home the young ones. It is just tough especially if your friend can't take them because his/her parents say no, I'm sure s/he would love to have them but most times parents make those decisions. I hope your friend can still take them when you are able to see each other again. I wish they would just follow the rest, it would be less stressful for you because you are worrying all the time about what could happen to them.

Back
Top Bottom