*Solved!* It this chick old enough to be ignored by the mom?

Do you have a small aligning pen? So during the day she can be with the other birds without getting pecked?
And at night you could sort something out, either indoors or in another shed.
I have had lone birds, but the mother rejected pretty late.

I usually use a broody. The chicks will be out all day, without going under their mother, after the first week or so.
I was worrying about my 6 week old brooder chicks.... But with the hen they're out all the time anyway.
They're definitely hardier than we give them credit for.
I'm more worried that she'll be lonely.
They never peck her. I'm also worried about her feeling lonely.

Seriously, leave her with the flock unless she is being bullied. Check at night to make sure she is roosting with the rest of the birds. If you worry about her being cold, give her an area where she can go to warm up - but I bet she will never use it. At 4 weeks, my brooder chicks are off the supplemental heat of the momma-heating pad and roosting on the low bar in the brooder.
Unless there is a specific reason why you want to take her away from her family ...

Even better, IMO.
Chick has space to run if she needs it.
I'd still give her a week or two because she's very small.
I have this small run that I made for a hen and her babies because she was to wimpy to protect them. Should I put her in her? It will take about 5 mins to fix it.
20200813_135935.jpg

She would be even more lonely though. Could I force Bertha in there to or is it crue? We do have a horrid raven problem that killed 10 chicks last year.

Seriously, leave her with the flock unless she is being bullied. Check at night to make sure she is roosting with the rest of the birds. If you worry about her being cold, give her an area where she can go to warm up - but I bet she will never use it. At 4 weeks, my brooder chicks are off the supplemental heat of the momma-heating pad and roosting on the low bar in the brooder.
Unless there is a specific reason why you want to take her away from her family ...
Ok I'll keep her with them.

Is she hanging with the flock or is she out there in left field all by herself?

I know it is probably hard to let her be, because she is an "only" and a "baby", and you want to make sure she is taken care of. It shows that you care for your chickens very much.

Back
Top Bottom