SOLWAY spiral feeder and horizontal nipples

Aunt LoLo

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 17, 2012
Ok, so I am looking for a do-over. My 11 gallon feeder is fine for my 7 girls, but I don't love the feed they scatter all around (it ends up hiding in nooks and crannies and molding. UGH.) My waterer I made last spring (5 gallon bucket, hose, pvc pipe, four vertical nipplies) is leaking and nasty at this point. So. Time to try again!

I came across some products from SOLWAY, in the UK. Specifically their spiral feeder and horizontal nipples.

1) Anyone tried the spiral feeder? Does it work well?? (A hole is drilled into the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket. A spring is dropped through the hole, tapered on the bottom. Feed flows from the bucket into the spring, and chooks can peck their feed out from between the metal coils.)

2) do the horizontal nipples REALLY not leak? Not from the nipple, and not from where you connect them to the bucket?? I'm handy, but REALLY terrible with a drill.

Thanks!!

Ok, so I am looking for a do-over. My 11 gallon feeder is fine for my 7 girls, but I don't love the feed they scatter all around (it ends up hiding in nooks and crannies and molding. UGH.) My waterer I made last spring (5 gallon bucket, hose, pvc pipe, four vertical nipplies) is leaking and nasty at this point. So. Time to try again!

I came across some products from SOLWAY, in the UK. Specifically their spiral feeder and horizontal nipples.

1) Anyone tried the spiral feeder? Does it work well?? (A hole is drilled into the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket. A spring is dropped through the hole, tapered on the bottom. Feed flows from the bucket into the spring, and chooks can peck their feed out from between the metal coils.)

2) do the horizontal nipples REALLY not leak? Not from the nipple, and not from where you connect them to the bucket?? I'm handy, but REALLY terrible with a drill.

Thanks!!
In theory the feeder looks interesting. I worry about it getting clogged/log jammed, though. I'm sticking with my home-made bucket with the large pvc elbow. There is a thread on BYC describing how to make one. It does require tools, but it's not a difficult project.

For your nipple buckets, you can get one already made at http://allboutchickens.com. I REALLY like the horizontal nipples for both my chickens and quail. I guess if you have a bird push on the pin without collecting the water you could end up with a bit of moisture near the bucket, but I don't have that problem in my coops. Their bedding stays nice and dry plus they really like their drinkers. The nipples are tapered and self seal unless you drill the hole too big.

I recently bought the horizontal nipples from Solway to put on the side of a huge Tupperware box, and I had the same worries about not being able to fit it, but the back of the nipple is a cone with a screw fit. You just have to drill a hole big enough to get the end of the cone in (about 8mm) and then screw the nipple in. It will make the hole bigger itself so that it is a great fit. The only thing you can't do is go backwards so near the end stop when it is facing the right way if you don't think you can manage another full turn. Also I started screwing it in by hand and finished it with an adjustable wrench (it is helpfully square). My three chickens have found it really easy to use and only required being shown how to do it a couple of times each. I've noticed no leaks and it keeps the water very clean.

I hope that helps a little

Stacy

Back
Top Bottom