Some advice please.....When can I "mix" my ducks?

Betsih

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 14, 2012
My family ordered 8 ducks and only 1 survived shipping. The hatchery is sending replacements. They are due to arrive in the next 2 days. How long do we need to keep the new babies separate from the older one? Being in northern Michigan, I want to get the together ASAP so the babies can get warmth from the older duck. We will keep them in the house as long as possible, but 7 ducklings will be messy and loud.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Betsi

Sorry, my brain thought it, but my fingers didn't type it. LOL

Lucky was hatched September 3, shipped on September 4 according to the hatchery. So, about 3 1/2 weeks when the new ones get here.

What breed is it? With ducks growing so quickly that is quite a size difference.

Our original order was for 6 Pekins and 2 Buff Orpingtons. None of the ducklings were marked when they arrived and all looked to be the same color. Right now we are assuming the survivor is a Pekin. Lucky seems to be turning white as the adult feathers come in.

The new babies will be 5 Pekin and 2 Buff.

Sorry about your first shipment.

That will be quite a size difference. It would probably be safest to keep them seperated for at least a week of two that way they will have more stamina and will be a little bigger. You could try making something where they can see each other but not touch, like a partition in the brooder made from hardware cloth or chicken wire. You will need to monitor them when you do put them together so that Lucky doesn't pick on the little ones.

Back
Top Bottom