Some Bunny Advise Me Surgery Aftercare

EggSighted4Life

Crossing the Road
8 Years
Apr 9, 2016
California's Redwood Coast
Good morning folks! :frow

I adopted 2 Bunnies (blaming chicken math :oops:) from my local shelter, unfixed. My local vet quoted me $400 to spay or neuter. Local Humane Society had "Pub Vet" coming and did it for $60 each at a tribal facility. :yesss:

They dosed both up to help sleep away the rest of the day/night. Did not send extra pain meds! :hmm But also put collars on them. Do these collars need to stay and for how long?

They are alert right now, and I want to feed and water them a bit easier than the collar seems to allow.

Anyone with rabbit spay and neuter aftercare experience to share?? TIA! :cool:

:hugs for rescuing:thumbsup the lil ones. I don't have rabbits, but assume the collars are to prevent the bunnies from licking the wound, and possibly opening it.
I would feed them with those collars on,,,, even though it gets somewhat challenging. I would wait at least 3 days allowing the wound to heal. JMO.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

You need to leave the E collars on at LEAST 3 days, depending on bunny. Be prepared for some upset bunnies for awhile. The hormone changes cause them to go a little haywire for a bit. Make sure you are looking at the stitches daily to check for leakage/ discharge, etc. Call the vet if there is. Also, get a list of treats...besides hay, and food they can have for awhile while during recovery, strawberries, grapes, pumpkins, sgquash, leaf lettuce. Good luck because I think you’ve just found yourself a new pet!

One each, just over 28-37 hours ago.

Thanks for the support and suggestions! :highfive:

My friend said they posted Oreo on their Facebook page...
https://www.facebook.com/HumaneSocietyofDelNorte/

Those folks worked their tail off to help our community and pet population!:love
Gotcha. Unless the vet said otherwise, they don’t have external sutures and they don’t usually fuss with the wound too much. I would take the cones off at day 3 and monitor the incisions closely.
If they’re messing with them or they look inflamed and irritated, you could leave it on for up to a week. The male’s incision will probably be less problematic than the female’s.

How are BUNNIES doing ??? :frow
I wanted to update y'all on the Rabbits. :frow

I did get brave enough to check incisions and they looked fantastic! :yesss:

Cupcake, the female was quite upset with me for a few days once returned to their outdoor hutch/pen. She avoided me and was stand offish. After surgery I kept them indoors in a dog crate for almost a week with short trips outside mostly due to bad weather. Well, the shelter staff called her Charger and refused to handle her without a bite glove, stating she had been passed by for several months already while other rabbits went to new homes. I think that was circumstantial though as she has not bitten me even once. I had to move in a "tenant" to have a pet sitter for family vacations... and her small dog got into my rabbit pen, getting a chunk of Cupcakes' fur. That day she was upset and did charge my hand kinda scratching at or boxing it almost jumping on top... but then quickly tucking her head under for reassuring scratches when I didn't overreact! :love

I wasn't able to tell if Cupcake was indeed passing feces or not due to the bedding I was using and I know gut function is key. I could tell Oreo, the boy bun was pooping it up. :sick But, I got to use my chicken rearing skills and experience to assess condition... and she was happily eating plenty. Animals who aren't passing waste also won't be actively enjoying nourishment. My mind was at ease. :thumbsup

I can't believe I get to experience so many amazing species. Thank y'all for sharing in that! :wee

Back
Top Bottom