Some ducks are too smart for their own good! Escape artist

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by newbyduckmom, Oct 20, 2011.

1. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    My Magpie hen (the only one of my ducks that is laying) is a little too bright. She has gotten out of the fenced duck run every day for the last three days. She must be going under the fence, because she it too heavy to fly over it. She has a blast foraging until she gets caught. She keeps it up she will get caught by something other than me! (dog, coyote, raccoon, hawk ....) Guess I am going to have to sit and watch her to see how she is getting out.

I think she just gets so intent on her foraging that she forages her way right under the fence. But be darned if I can figure out where.

Her buddies stand inside the fence looking out and might as well be saying "what are you doing out there?"
    [​IMG]

Sorry so dark...another sunshiny day in the Pacific Northwest!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Wow! My ducks must be stupid, they dont want to go out their fence [​IMG] even if a blade of grass moves they freak out [​IMG]

3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Maybe she's climbing the fence? Muscovy are good climbers. Hmm? Is there anything that she can get up on in the pen and then glide over the fence? I'd probably spend an afternoon watching her, it would be better than losing her.

Good luck.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Acht is my chief security inspector. When I put up a new section of fence, she will walk along it, one foot pressing the fence, the other stepping on the ground. She's my quality control!

Of course, it took a few popouts before I caught on that that's how helpful she is! [​IMG]

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Ducks are along ways from being dumb. They tend to be "herd bound" and won't leave their flock, and they don't like changes, but that does not mean they are stupid.

6. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Is that black plastic fence? If so I bet she is just pushing right under now that she figured it out you will need to stake the bottom edge down to stop it. Gotta live ducks they will show you just how resourceful they are.

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    FLChickens,

I did have more popouts with the flexible plastic poultry fence. The coated wire is better. But if anything causes it to lean a bit (snow, limbs, etc.), and I don't straighten it up right away, Sechs or Funf with flap-walk up and out.

Of course, last winter, we had so much snow it completely covered the three foot fence for a couple of months. [​IMG]

8. grawg

grawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    East Tennessee
    You sure she's not flying out? I have a somewhat heavy runner drake that I've seen get 2' feet off the ground before.

9. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    ducks are great flyers dont forget, even if they just get a leap off the ground

10. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Oh my! i don't have mine penned so they don't get the opportunity to practice escape skills. I agree i'd try and watch to see what her 'plan' is for escape.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by