Some kind of tiny mites?

Erin80

Songster
Apr 16, 2017
For a few days when we have gone to collect eggs, we have noticed these tiny (as in TINY.....like moving specks) mite type things on the eggs. Once you pick the eggs up, the mites are instantly on your hands....like 20 of them and it’s so immediate. They were even crawling on the door to the laying box, and the handle....and also the chain that the waterer suspends from. If we touch our chickens, we get them on our hands.
So today I did a big full clean (even though I just cleaned the coop a few weeks ago). I started with each hen....I let them out one at a time and dusted each one around her vent, under each wing, and under her neck feathers with DE. I then sprinkled DE all through the entire outdoor run and mixed it in, and layered the perches with it as well.
Inside, I fully swept the entire coop out, including the walls and doors. I sprinkled a good layer of DE onto the base of the coop, all corners, ledges, roosts....everywhere. I then put clean shavings down over top. At this point the birds were allowed back in (I had let them range while I cleaned, but five of them were impatiently waiting to lay).
What else can I do? Do these sound like mites? Fleas? They did have a reddish colour to them. I don’t see them on anyone’s faces or feathers, because they are so tiny....I only notice them after I’ve touched a bird and have them on my hands.

The DE isn't going to do anything to help.
And it is a respiratory irritant.

It sounds like mites.

You need to get some 10% Permethrin and treat all the birds and spray all the nooks and crannies of the coop. Unfortunately you need to remove all the bedding and nesting material again and burn it.

You'll have to repeat this treatment again in 5 to 7 days to kill the mites from the eggs that hatch during that time.

You can purchase 10% Permethrin then dilute it according to the directions on the label. The concentration used on the birds is less than what in used on the coop.

Darn it. When I youtube-d and googled it said to use DE for mites. Wish I’d known I was doing it wrong before I did all that today! Off to google what Permethrin is and where to find it here in Ontario!

As I suspected.....not available here. Is there any other way to get rid of mites?

DE won't help.
I don't think you can buy permethrin up there but you might be able to get it from your vet.

Sevin should work too.

Are you able to order Elector PSP in Canada? It has spinosad, and the product below also has spinosad which treats lice and mites. Sulfur powder may also be used if you can find or order that. Neem oil is another but more difficult to treat coop, nests, roosts, and birds. Ivermectin is also effective.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom