Some lay, some don't?

MommaBee

Chirping
7 Years
May 25, 2012
Texas
So I know this question probably gets asked a lot. But I am curious as to why one of my chickens has been laying for two weeks now and others are not.
They are 27 weeks old.
Our barred Plymouth Rock started laying last Sunday has given us 9 eggs out of the past 12 days.
We also have...
2 EE's
1 Partridge Plymouth Rock ( particularly strange since same breed as barred PR gal)
1 buff O
1 Delaware
1 speckled Sussex

I know they will not all start on the same day but from everything I have read they should be laying by now. We have a great coop, we are in TX and its warm, in the 70s, no one is molting and they have plenty to forage on in the run plus ample water and feed. We are still getting about 12 hrs of daylight, should I add a light in there run or coop? Any help or insight into when these breeds will lay would be appreciated.

I've got 8 BOs all the same age.

3 have been laying for a month. A fourth one just started. The other 4...I guess they are waiting for Christmas or for a invitation to join me for a meal of chicken noodle soup.

Well right after I posted this I saw my other Plymouth Rock digging a lil spot in the run and the sitting and squatting a lot. No egg but my guess is that she is close. I guess the will all lay st their own good time. Maybe I will try a light in a timer in the coop. Glad you already have 3 laying! We have kidos who would love to be finding more eggs! I guess we are all learning a lesson in patience!

Back
Top Bottom