some newbe questions, about my coop! HELP ME PLEASE!

bungaree chickens

Songster
11 Years
May 7, 2008
corvallis, Or.
I have a question about the floor, I decided to put in galvanized 19 gauge hardware cloth along the floor of the hen house, because I had seen it in some coops and thought it would be easy to clean. I just got my chickens, and they are young (8 weeks) they seem to not want to walk on the floor of the coop. I have considered pushing them in so they see it is safe, but that isn't very nice. For now I used some extra pieces of wood that I covered most of the floor with, but I am wondering if I made a mistake making the floor out of this stuff. I know it will be nice and cool in the summer...and I could figure something out for the winter. What are your thoughts?
big_smile.png

I tried putting the pine chips or whatever they are called on top, but it all just falls through. I was thinking I should get a removable hard plastic of some sort and cover the whole floor with it so that I could remove it to hose it down. Do you have any suggestions. I will post a picture.

Last edited:
I have a rabbit hutch that I put babies in and sometimes I put a layer of hay in it. Then as they walk around it slowly disappears and they get used to walking on the wire.

here is my part of my hen house, I have those boxes in there because I thought that they would like them, but they don't...should I take the roost out of the box? I just went out to take this picture and they were sleeping on the boards in the middle...maybe I am worrying too much, I guess if they were cold they'd be smart enough to move to the closed in area right?! (maybe not)
If you see any alterations I should make...let me know.

0513081520.jpg

they are cute though!!
big_smile.png

0513081521.jpg

Bungaree,

1) what's your weather like - they may be feeling kinda cold n' drafty on the wire.

2) it is also possible they don't like its bounciness; you could try running a couple supports under it.

3) but mostly I expect they just don't like the unfamiliar feel. Personally I would not have chickens on wire flooring but I am also not in an extremely hot climate, where the 'rules' may be different.

I would suggest removing the roosts from those boxes, if they're intended to be nest boxes when the pullets start laying. You do NOT want 'em learning to sleep or rest in the nest boxes, or you will have horribly pooey eggs. You might consider putting a low front sill (like a piece of 1x2 or something) across the bottom front of the nest boxes, to keep the litter from all getting kicked out.

They are indeed cute
smile.png

Good luck and have fun,

Pat

Quote:
1.)well, we live in Oregon, it is not that hot, not that cold but more rain than we know what to do with.

2.)yeah, the supports would be a good idea!

3.) I think that is mostly it, I think they haven't experienced it before, and they think they would fall.

Yes, I will remove the roosts, I probably should actually remove the boxes for a little longer, and yes the 1 by 2 is just what I should do.

Do chickens this age use roosts if they are there, mine seem to always want to be on the ground, but I did just get them yesterday!

Quote:
But, since you live in Florida, you probably don't ever have to worry about it being too cold, am I right? I am also worried that the cats can lay under there and watch them!! I know the cats enjoy it, but will it traumatize the chickens, or will they get used to the idea that they are there and not care???

I've never had a problem with anything bothering them in the hutch. They don't pay my cat or dog any attention. It gets down in the high 20's here sometimes and usually hovers in the 30's in the winter months. But it don't seem to bother them at all. But if I think it's cold I just throw a layer of hay in on the wire and they are fine. I have a area enclosed that I use for a nest area and I have a roost in the outer hutch part they can roost on it they want.

brooder1.jpg

brooder2.jpg

Last edited:
I have a friend who just built a coop and used the wire flooring and the chickens all scruntch in a corner on a lil piece of plywood that was left in there.....
I like the hay shown on the wire floor in Poison Ivy's pics....I think that might be nice for their feet. I don't personally care for the wire either but hear it is nice and easy to clean up!!!
wink.png

I would keep the nest boxes in long enough for them to get used to....so they might lay eventually in them but YES...take out the roosts....:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Hay, that would be better and it wouldn't fall through. i could do that in the winter. Thank you!!
lol.png

I guess I won't worry about my cats...but I need to take the roosts out, since they were already sitting on them today!!! (AHHHH!):eek:

Back
Top Bottom