some newbie guidance please

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sharons7, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Sharons7

Sharons7 In the Brooder

Jun 15, 2009
    My chickens seem to be doing well. For the last week or so I haven't been putting them in the coop at night, just leaving them but they haven't gone in it themselves. Should I be? They have access. I don't have a roosting bar in the coop but i did put a small pine tree i cut down that is the right size for them to perch on in the pen area. I haven't seen them on it yet either. Do I need to train the chickens on how to be chickens?
    The cuties are starting to make clucking noises instead of peeping. The 3 boys havent' learned to crow yet. When they do it might be time to thin them from the crowd though. I plan to order at least 6 hen chicks soon, hopefully today. I've read posts on how to eventually introduce any new ones to the older ones so i'm not worried about that. I am wanting the chickens for eggs, not so much the meat but will take what nature has given me. So back to the coop.. do I need to be putting them to bed each night and shutting the door or put them in and leave the door open for them? Anyone need a rooster?

2. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Lock them in the coop for a few days and then let them out. They need to know
    it's home. Right now it looks like a scary cave to them.

3. Sharons7

Sharons7 In the Brooder

Jun 15, 2009
    Thanks:) I'll tuck them in at night... another question... dusk? I tend to go to bed by 9 and with it being summer it's still light outside. Does that matter to them? I don't want to mess with biorythms.

4. lunkerchicken

lunkerchicken Songster

I have 8 girls that are just over 6 weeks and 3 girls that are between 3 and 4 weeks. The 8 took a few days but now head right into the coop around dark and head right for the highest roosting area in there. The other 3 little ones however are not getting it yet. They have shown improvement though. At first they would just sit in the middle of the run and peep away until I came down to put them to bed (spoiled). Now they at least make it up to the coop door. They sit in the doorway and roost there so they just need a gentle push inside so I can close the door. Getting better!

5. Judy

Judy Crowing

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    They would rather perch on a flat surface. The wide side of a 2x4 is just right for them. Unlike some other birds, chickens don't really like to hang on to a perch.

Yes, you do need to train them to sleep in the coop and on the roost, for safety and to keep nest boxes free of poop. But give them some time, set them in there, and they will get it.

6. michiganlarry

michiganlarry Songster

Apr 7, 2009
    Marine City, Michigan
    Quote:You NEED to leave them in the coop all day and night for a week or so. This is how come to feel it is home. I put my chicks out there as soon as possible with a heat light . That way as they grow up it is really the only home they know. I have an automatic pop door and it took them a couple nights to figure out that they needed to be inside before the door closed. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: