some of my mixes

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duck walk, Jul 15, 2010.

1. duck walk

duck walk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    white springs, fl
    [​IMG]

They are almost ready to join the main flock...there are two pure Pekins, the others are Ancona/Pekin or Swedish/Pekin...I have a beige and white, a bblue and white and that cute little black and white fm who is the loudest, gabbiest little thing I have ever seen...I just love her...

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    They are just gorgeous- What a lovely group of young ducks you have there.

3. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    [​IMG]

4. AdamD77

AdamD77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Bedfordshire, England
    Aww they're all lovely but that black and white one is beautiful! [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. duck walk

duck walk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    white springs, fl
    Thanks you guys...this group was in a group of 16 hatched by a Black Swedish duck...the little one front center who is named Little Duck was almost a tragedy...about the time he was struggling to escape his egg shell prison, the ants found the nest...they were all over him intending to eat him one bite at a time...I grabbed up all the babies and remaining eggs and had to knock darn fire ants off of the entire mess...Little Duck was kind of brittle but we cleaned him up and stuck all of them in a warm 'bator...we had more hatch, they all made it...Little Duck was always very small compared to the rest and everyone just always referred to him as the Little Duck so that became his name...he is a he and a very scrappy one...for the longest time he was half the size of the others...but after that horrible start to life, he is catching up in size and none of them can beat his feisty attitude and will to live...he is a very pale beige and white...

In this climate with the heat, humidity, bugs, snakes, and everything else that is stacked against them, I have determined that a broody duck is not such a good idea...hatching will be by incubator, if we want more ducks...it was pretty horrible to find Little Duck hatching all covered in ants trying to kill him...his momma swore at me everytime she saw me for about a week and then moved on with her life...she is an old duck I bought as an adult in a group of adults at a sale... I just love her...very bossy and loud...she stole all of the eggs she was sitting on...I don't think she is laying anymore...I could be wrong but she is old...did not stop her from broodiness tho, and thievery...

The black and white duck in the photo has a black stripe down the center of her bill and has white feet and ankles...about half way up her leg, evenly on both legs, her legs are black...it looks like she has knee high socks on...very cute markings...very big attitude...I haven't name her yet...any suggestions welcome...

6. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:My thoughts exactly... that one just made me green.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by