Some one education me on satins silkies please!

Jeskka1819

In the Brooder
Sep 12, 2020
Hi guys I’m new here, I’ve been raising backyard chickens for 2 years now and just added a couple breeds I have been wanting for a while. I of course fell in love with silkies and I really would like to know if satin silkies. I know they are but a actual breed but I’m wandering how people get the satin look with breeding silkies. Is there a certain breed of chicken you need? I have polish, Cochin frizzles, silkies, Seramas and golden spangled appenzellers. Some please educate my confused mind right now :)

:welcome They are cross bred birds. You can make whatever cross appeals to you. Silky/Cochin crosses to me are especially and are great broody hens.
I can see how those would be beautiful birds. I love the Batam Cochins. Have you ever seen a polish/ silkie or golden spangled appenzeller? She is below. She has some frizzle in her genetics somewhere just haven’t incubated any eggs yet. I normally just stick with the serama for breeding when I want a new hen. I think her color is so vibrant and silky smooth

Attachments

• EBCE6062-A431-48E6-8B68-ACFF54333FF7.jpeg
    EBCE6062-A431-48E6-8B68-ACFF54333FF7.jpeg
    564.1 KB · Views: 19
Well technically satins are mutts, but if you think about it all chickens are at some point. Not arguing that, but just wanted to clarify that there are many breeders who are trying to develop the satin as a true breed. Originally it is a cochin/silkie cross and then they are consistently bred back to silkies while trying to maintain the smooth feathering. Some breeders have several generations of these birds. I ended up with a satin in a batch of silkie eggs I bought from a well-known breeder. He informed me he was sixth generation satin. Ideally they look just like silkies, have all the silkie characteristics including the black skin and the five toes but then they have the smooth feathering.
😊

You and I have have the same taste in birds! The Satins are Silkies crosses with Cochin. I’d prefer a Silkie crosses with a frizzled Cochin :)
Satins are the offspring of breeding Silkie with Frizzled Cochin bantam to produce Sizzle a non recognized breed.
Satins lack both the silkie and frizzle phenotype and are regular smooth feathered.
Some people claim that Satins are necessary in breeding Sizzles.
Not sure if there’s any truth to that or they are just marketing them that way.

Satins are the offspring of breeding Silkie with Frizzled Cochin bantam to produce Sizzle a non recognized breed.
Satins lack both the silkie and frizzle phenotype and are regular smooth feathered.
Some people claim that Satins are necessary in breeding Sizzles.
Not sure if there’s any truth to that or they are just marketing them that way.
I have smooth and frizzled Satins. Lots of them. I also have Silkies and frizzled Silkies. They’re stunning. Lots of breeders have moved away from the word Sizzles and are now using the word Satins in its place. This old chart has been helpful :)

Attachments

• 356D8190-4309-4A89-A7E7-61D3284D348F.jpeg
    356D8190-4309-4A89-A7E7-61D3284D348F.jpeg
    216 KB · Views: 24
I have smooth and frizzled Satins. Lots of them. I also have Silkies and frizzled Silkies. They’re stunning. Lots of breeders have moved away from the word Sizzles and are now using the word Satins in its place. This old chart has been helpful :)
Haven’t followed up on what names people are using for offspring produced by Silkie X Frizzled crossed.
Poultry are standard bred that means phenotype, the way they look.
While an interesting breeding project unfortunately there’s and has been too many wanting to make quick dollar selling every type feather that is on offspring.
Not going to get into what each type feather is called by people churning them out today.
To be recognized by APA or ABA they have to breed 50% true and that isn’t just talking about colors.
Just the 3 different feather types will stop their recognition.
They will always be manufactured and will have to be bred back to whatever combination is needed to produce.
Now bear with me on latest terms being used.
Satin is the term being used for the smooth feathered offspring. It lacks the type of any recognized standard description.
The type is makes it pet quality unless it is used somewhere in breeding program.
The Silkied is just the same a feather type but the type of chicken is pet quality and unless it’s able to be useful in breeding program it’s just pet quality.
Frizzed Silkie is a marketing term.
It used to be referred to as Sizzle.
These do have a unique feather structure not described in Standard Of Perfection.
A unique combination like nothing else in chickens.
Still pet quality as they will not reproduce themselves.
Thus the giving names to offspring that don’t have the unique feather.
Now before you want to dispute my response be sure you explain to everyone what each of the above will produce when mated each way.
Posting pictures of Silkies and Frizzled Cochin when bred to their same breed will reproduce themselves.
Buy what ever you can enjoy just know what you’re doing when buying.

Attachments

• 8AF949D8-4C59-43C4-8ED2-22681BA3C521.jpeg
    8AF949D8-4C59-43C4-8ED2-22681BA3C521.jpeg
    26.1 KB · Views: 22
  • E7DC7D6A-F35D-439B-AA39-57DF2A4A7FB4.jpeg
    E7DC7D6A-F35D-439B-AA39-57DF2A4A7FB4.jpeg
    141.2 KB · Views: 7
  • FA05A2DD-EDF9-4822-B848-E53A4AD80585.jpeg
    FA05A2DD-EDF9-4822-B848-E53A4AD80585.jpeg
    52.7 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom