Some one help me make the right choice?

Johnn

Crowing
8 Years
Sep 5, 2011
My mam said she was going to ask my uncle for 2 chickens for part of my xmas presant and he said i can have 2 of his if i want becauyse they are old and dont lay, but he said that when he gets some new ones he will get me 2, the "old ones" will only be 2 or 3 years old. I have 9 hens now 6 of which lay the other 3 are old and lay one every now and then. Now can some one help me work this out, if i have 6 laying hens will i be able to supply 12 eggs to some one, 6 eggs to some one, and 6 for us in a week?. What ones should i choose? young or old??. the old ones are going to be killed
sad.png

Personally I'd go for the "old" hens, at 2 or 3 years old there are plenty of laying years left in them. I'm always shocked by how early people cull their hens, but then I'm just a big softy like that! I suppose it comes down to what your goals are in keeping the hens, for pure egg production or for the joy of keeping these silly creatures.

A 2 year old healthy hen, on average, will produce 4 eggs a week. Some more, some less, but 4 will be close enough for you. Don't even count the old hens that lay an occasional egg.

Do the math.

There is no X in CHRISTmas.

say 4 eggs a week times 6 laying hens, is exactly your goal. Even at 3, they most likely still lay, just not as often. You have 3 others in the same boat.. I'd estimate another 10 eggs per week. Maybe not right now though. They like to take breaks in the winter.

New chickens however.. he is probably talking chicks.. in the spring, so you probably wouldn't see an egg until late fall. BUT that would also be when your other chickens are molting - slowing down or stopping.

I eat my chickens too. I'd go with the new ones if you are wanting them for eggs. If you want them for eye candy.. it changes things
wink.png

If they are only 2 i will deffo get them, what if they are 2 and a half or 3 could i still expect 3 eggs a week?

My neighbor has 5 hens and 3 of them lay everyday and they are just now 3 years old. it may be how they are being fed she lets hers free range and gives them nothing but Laying mash and they lay every morning like clock work by 9 a.m. I would take them and you never know if you feed them different them he does they may lay an egg every day.

It depends on why you want the chickens. If you're looking for optimal egg production so you can sell some (you may get more customers than you already have), get the younger ones. If you're looking for pets that lay eggs and you don't care how many you get, get the older ones. Merry Christmas and enjoy whichever birds you choose to get!

Quote:
I know this is getting off topic but I find it rude that you would put that in your post. And “Xmas” is not originally an attempt to exclude Christ from Christmas, but uses an abbreviation of the Greek spelling of the word “Christ” with the “X” representing the Greek letter chi. I'm not even christian and I knew that.

Johnn - I'd go for the older girls, too. I'm sure you will end up with more than enough eggs. If you don't, there's always more chickens out there!
wink.png

Happy Holidays everyone!

i only say xmas because it shorter then christmas but i hate it when people say "crimbo" i think i will get the older ones as long as they arnt older then 3

Back
Top Bottom