Some people just don't need chickens...a kinda long rant.

Ah to have a sister nuggetsowner.
smile.png
I have a brother.....he is wonderful in so many ways, but when dealing with our parents he seems to think it is my problem...or at least not his!!! Oh well, I love them all.
smile.png
Some days I feel like I have been the mother for a very long time.

Thank you, Celeste. That means a lot.
smile.png

I feel for you. I have a FIL that is like that. Thing is, he's the last person I'd take animal rearing advice from....don't ask...its a long story.
he.gif
gig.gif
The old goat has grown on me though over the years and I'll miss him when he passes.

Anyway, my advice is to not be letting her make decisions about these things...you ask the question like this "How much feed do you have right now?" and when she says that she has 1/2 bag left (or whatever) you make the decision to do purchase or not.

I know that as my mom ages it will be my responsibility to care for her as by then my children will likely be grown. Part of me looks forward to having my mom around and the other part cringes because we are so much alike that we'll be butting heads...
lau.gif
ep.gif

There is a saying about this sort of thing. " Get revenge...live long enough to be a burden to your children." and this one "Be nice to your kids cause one day they'll be deciding which home to put you in...thiers or an old age home"
gig.gif

Good luck and feel free to blow off steam here anytime.

I understand! It doesn't just end with chickens-- You will have to start buying it and take it by and do an inventory of what she needs while you are there. If she is low on something take it the next time you are close by.. Been there -done that learned to think ahead...

My dh always says: "parents are like children but worse--you can send kid to there room if you don't like their actions!!
big_smile.png

I understand dealing with moms, this thread got me, though, cuz I brought my mother to the hospital this morning and this time I think she really did have a heart attack. I know they can be a real PITA (mine certainly can be) but I don't want to miss her!
hit.gif
Enjoy their foibles, they won't be around forever.

One thing about Mom's is that you can never change them. They may change on their own, but no matter how hard we want them to be as we need them to be, they never will be...sigh...
I've learned this over the years and keep having to be reminded of it.

Thank You for the sacrifice your family is making with a family member serving our country.

Oh, it isn't a matter of wanting to change my mom. I gave up on that years ago. The problem is the changes she is going through on her own. Trust me, I will be devestated when something does happen to her. Our relationship was always rocky until I was an adult and MADE her be my friend, Now she is my buddy in a lot of things. A lot of times when the kids get dropped off at school I get her and we go for breakfast then spend the day shopping. We call each otehr and talk through cooking dinner...strangely enough, however, it has always been her asking me how to cook whatever.
smile.png
I will miss her a lot some day and I know that. I love her. However, I see her declining mentally.....NOT physically at all, and know the challenges are just beginning and sometimes that makes me feel a bit helpless and frustrated.

Edit to add, even though the chickens are what this little rant was about, the chickens are just kinda the icinng on the cake.....one tiny speck of the issues I deal with daily and it is just making me think maybe I should just bring her eggs...but I know she does enjoy having the chickens there, too. *sigh*

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom