Some questions about geese.

Faizan Ali

Songster
May 7, 2021
I was thinking about getting geese for a long time and I think I might get some this summer. I do have some problems. The very first one is my labrador who likes to spend most of his time in the veranda and the lawn. I do have a cage built it's 8x13 (I think I measured it very long ago) they can't be in it all day long because of how much they poop. Its very unlikely for a gander to get along with a dog and my lab also likes to chase birds alot. Wht could be the solution to this? I have no predators in my area which can harm the geese? I also want the gander to be aggressive. Also would like to know how muchh space will they need.

Okay, aggressive? Or assertive? I don't think it's ever a good idea to have an aggressive pet because you never know who it will take out that aggression on and physically harm.

My geese are assertive, in that they will defend themselves with hissing and charging if they feel threatened. They will "yell" at chickens who try to take their food or nesting spot, but if they cross the line and bite at another bird, I quickly redirect them.

Also, I don't want them to get aggressive with me. Sometimes, I have had to pick up a goose and once took a wing to the face that left bruising. She wasn't even trying to hurt me, she was scared and didn't want to be moved. The damage could have been much worse if she had been trying to harm me.

I don't worry about predators with them as much as with my smaller birds (chickens and runner ducks), but a stray dog can be just as deadly as a wild predator. My big-bodied girls can't fly very far, and they sure couldn't outrun a dog.

That's where I would be concerned with the Labrador. It's possible you might be able to condition and train him NOT to bother the geese, but separation is probably a better idea.

My geese have a small house, made of wood and wrapped in hardware cloth, that's inside a chain-link enclosure. But they spend most of their day outside the pen, keeping my feed costs down by eating grass.

There's plenty to consider before you get geese. I didn't do that first and had to learn a lot along the way.

Why do you want the gander to be aggressive?

You’d have to train your dog not to be aggressive towards the geese, but if the dog has a high prey drive you’re not going to prevent it from attacking the geese one day.
Sorry I meant assertive but English isnt my first language. My dog is a coward he will chase wht ever runs from him but once it starts to show aggressiveness he stops immediately, game over. He does have a prey drive but he has controlled his desire under my supervision.

Don't apologize for your ability to use English. As a former newspaper editor, I can assure you that many people -- whose ONLY language is English -- also mix up words. I admire your ability to communicate well in more than one language.

Your dog sounds a bit like my geese. They will hiss and run at other birds and have been known to nip at a lone chicken. They will also harass the runner ducks, who form a single-line parade and march across the yard away from their tormentors.

BUT, if there is more than one chicken and those girls turn on the geese, the big bullies run away. I think if you want geese, you will find a way to make it work. Good luck, and keep us posted!

I
Okay, aggressive? Or assertive? I don't think it's ever a good idea to have an aggressive pet because you never know who it will take out that aggression on and physically harm.

My geese are assertive, in that they will defend themselves with hissing and charging if they feel threatened. They will "yell" at chickens who try to take their food or nesting spot, but if they cross the line and bite at another bird, I quickly redirect them.

Also, I don't want them to get aggressive with me. Sometimes, I have had to pick up a goose and once took a wing to the face that left bruising. She wasn't even trying to hurt me, she was scared and didn't want to be moved. The damage could have been much worse if she had been trying to harm me.

I don't worry about predators with them as much as with my smaller birds (chickens and runner ducks), but a stray dog can be just as deadly as a wild predator. My big-bodied girls can't fly very far, and they sure couldn't outrun a dog.

That's where I would be concerned with the Labrador. It's possible you might be able to condition and train him NOT to bother the geese, but separation is probably a better idea.

My geese have a small house, made of wood and wrapped in hardware cloth, that's inside a chain-link enclosure. But they spend most of their day outside the pen, keeping my feed costs down by eating grass.

There's plenty to consider before you get geese. I didn't do that first and had to learn a lot along the way.
Sorry yes assertive I don't mind the aggressiveness but I actually didn't know they could leave bruises! Did my research turns out they are one of the most feared animals. I do know how to handle big birds after being badly scratched and slapped by peacocks. I do have alot of grass and weeds in my garden. I have been doing alot of research.

Don't apologize for your ability to use English. As a former newspaper editor, I can assure you that many people -- whose ONLY language is English -- also mix up words. I admire your ability to communicate well in more than one language.

Your dog sounds a bit like my geese. They will hiss and run at other birds and have been known to nip at a lone chicken. They will also harass the runner ducks, who form a single-line parade and march across the yard away from their tormentors.

BUT, if there is more than one chicken and those girls turn on the geese, the big bullies run away. I think if you want geese, you will find a way to make it work. Good luck, and keep us posted!
Thank you! :)
My dog is funny he once chased a chicken to the point she passed out and he didn't go near it because she wouldnt move anymore. I would like geese who are not afraid of me since I love handling birds. Will definitely keep you guys updated.

I don't think geese deserve to be feared. One of my girls, Gussie, is an absolute sweetie. When I've had to pick her up, she's always gone along with me and rests her head on my shoulder. HOWEVER. Golly is not as sweet and is the one who bruised my face. As with all of my animal injuries, it was my own fault.

I KNOW she doesn't like to be picked up, but I needed Golly to go into the shelter and she refused. I got impatient trying to herd her in and decided to pick her up. I should have held BOTH wings tightly, but I let one slip out of my hands and with those powerful, big wings so close to my face, it's no wonder I ended up bruised.

I got both girls from a local farm store when they were a few days old and handled them from the very beginning. Some people will tell you not to hand feed geese, but my girls have always taken treats from my hand. They also will -- usually -- walk into the shelter on their own when I call them and announce that I have feed awaiting them.

I don't think geese deserve to be feared. One of my girls, Gussie, is an absolute sweetie. When I've had to pick her up, she's always gone along with me and rests her head on my shoulder. HOWEVER. Golly is not as sweet and is the one who bruised my face. As with all of my animal injuries, it was my own fault.

I KNOW she doesn't like to be picked up, but I needed Golly to go into the shelter and she refused. I got impatient trying to herd her in and decided to pick her up. I should have held BOTH wings tightly, but I let one slip out of my hands and with those powerful, big wings so close to my face, it's no wonder I ended up bruised.

I got both girls from a local farm store when they were a few days old and handled them from the very beginning. Some people will tell you not to hand feed geese, but my girls have always taken treats from my hand. They also will -- usually -- walk into the shelter on their own when I call them and announce that I have feed awaiting them.
So true. Its amazing how just like humans birds of any type have their own personalities. My neighbour does have geese and a little gosling which is the cutest thing I've ever seen. I would love to have geese like gussie since I love handling birds. I can only get Chinese geese here other types are way to uncommon and expensive.

Screenshot_20210718-201554_OLX Pakistan.jpg

I can get some like these from here wht breed do u think these are?

Back
Top Bottom