Some questions about geese.

I know White Chinese Geese have a raised knob on their bill, but I am far from an expert on goose breeds. If they are White Chinese, they would -- according to the catalog from a regional hatchery -- be talkative, alert, excellent grazers and good layers. But, all I know is what I've just written. My girls are American Buffs.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable will weigh in?

@Callender Girl I measured and fixed my former peacock pen today. It is 71 sqft. Will this be enough to keep 2 geese with 4 chickens inside half of the day and in the evening I can chain my dog and let the birds out. I could search Internet but I think someone with a bit of experience can tell me better. Would also like to know if whole grain wheat, barley and maize can be used for geese with alot of vegetation. As a former duck owner I noticed that my ducks never like dried corn.

I think I am going to be something of a disappointment to you.

I would think it would be enough space if they were all chickens, but I have no experience with the much larger needs of peacocks. I think you can cheat a bit on space as long as everyone gets along and has the opportunity to get out and move about for part of the day.

Also, I let my geese out all day to choose their own vegetation, but feed them commercial all-flock feed that I also give my ducks and non-laying chickens. I'm surprised your ducks didn't like dried corn. My runners eat that -- and about anything else I put in front of them.

Let's hope someone has a better answer for you!

I think I am going to be something of a disappointment to you.

I would think it would be enough space if they were all chickens, but I have no experience with the much larger needs of peacocks. I think you can cheat a bit on space as long as everyone gets along and has the opportunity to get out and move about for part of the day.

Also, I let my geese out all day to choose their own vegetation, but feed them commercial all-flock feed that I also give my ducks and non-laying chickens. I'm surprised your ducks didn't like dried corn. My runners eat that -- and about anything else I put in front of them.

Let's hope someone has a better answer for you!
😂 It's fine I appreciate any help and thoughts. I think the cage is decent since it's only gonna be a while after my dog gets used to the birds and stops messing with them so they can be out all day. My ducks were picky and even my chickens hated the corn. I don't think I can find any of these different laying feeds game bird and waterfowl feeds since in Pakistan people feed chicken feed to every poultry. Its rich in protein.

I don't think geese deserve to be feared. One of my girls, Gussie, is an absolute sweetie. When I've had to pick her up, she's always gone along with me and rests her head on my shoulder. HOWEVER. Golly is not as sweet and is the one who bruised my face. As with all of my animal injuries, it was my own fault.

I KNOW she doesn't like to be picked up, but I needed Golly to go into the shelter and she refused. I got impatient trying to herd her in and decided to pick her up. I should have held BOTH wings tightly, but I let one slip out of my hands and with those powerful, big wings so close to my face, it's no wonder I ended up bruised.

I got both girls from a local farm store when they were a few days old and handled them from the very beginning. Some people will tell you not to hand feed geese, but my girls have always taken treats from my hand. They also will -- usually -- walk into the shelter on their own when I call them and announce that I have feed awaiting them.
I envy your ability to get your geese back into their shelter. Mine are near impossible. I can somewhat coax my gander into getting close enough to pick him up. My female on the other hand is impossible and will run from me (it takes 2 people and a dog to herd her in). Which is weird because she is such a love and super cuddly once I do get ahold of her.

Don't give me too much credit. Lately, they've gladly gone into the shelter -- I think because I feed the chickens and ducks first, leading them to believe they will starve if they don't also comply and go inside. They follow me from coop to coop, looking wistfully at the scoops of feed that they are not getting.

But, there have been plenty of wild chases around the yard over the past few years. I still believe in bribery; can you find ANYTHING to persuade them to head indoors?

I was thinking about getting geese for a long time and I think I might get some this summer. I do have some problems. The very first one is my labrador who likes to spend most of his time in the veranda and the lawn. I do have a cage built it's 8x13 (I think I measured it very long ago) they can't be in it all day long because of how much they poop. Its very unlikely for a gander to get along with a dog and my lab also likes to chase birds alot. Wht could be the solution to this? I have no predators in my area which can harm the geese? I also want the gander to be aggressive. Also would like to know how muchh space will they need.
I keep mine caged up at night, theres 7 of them in a 40'x80' cage and theyve completely destroyed it within a week. An 8x13 cage would be a horrible mess after the first day. I cant say for every breed but mine are embdens and they have chased my neighbors pitbull away several times. Two of my ganders are very aggressive. And I really dont see any problem with wanting them to be aggressive. They arent stupid and can be trained if you deal with them like you would a dog.
I envy your ability to get your geese back into their shelter. Mine are near impossible. I can somewhat coax my gander into getting close enough to pick him up. My female on the other hand is impossible and will run from me (it takes 2 people and a dog to herd her in). Which is weird because she is such a love and super cuddly once I do get ahold of her.
Ive never had a problem with getting mine to go into their pen. None of them have ever been friendly but from day one when ever I was near them I would say "goose goose goose goose goose" in a baby talk kind of voice and they learned that means I might give them food so all I gotta do is say it and they come running and follow me into their fence. They'll even yell at me if I havent put them away by their normal bed time.

I keep mine caged up at night, theres 7 of them in a 40'x80' cage and theyve completely destroyed it within a week. An 8x13 cage would be a horrible mess after the first day. I cant say for every breed but mine are embdens and they have chased my neighbors pitbull away several times. Two of my ganders are very aggressive. And I really dont see any problem with wanting them to be aggressive. They arent stupid and can be trained if you deal with them like you would a dog.

Ive never had a problem with getting mine to go into their pen. None of them have ever been friendly but from day one when ever I was near them I would say "goose goose goose goose goose" in a baby talk kind of voice and they learned that means I might give them food so all I gotta do is say it and they come running and follow me into their fence. They'll even yell at me if I havent put them away by their normal bed time.
You have 7 geese, I was only thinking of getting 2 and I've decided against keeping geese right now.

Back
Top Bottom