Some questions about showing????

FarmGirl01

Crowing
15 Years
Feb 5, 2008
AR
I have a few questions about getting started. I have searched the forum and have answered alot of them already, but I still have a few.

I'm planning on showing 2 OEGB cocks. (1 year old) They will be entered under my name. Novice class of course.

1. Do I use my own # leg band?
2. Do I have to be a member of APA or ABA?

I've got the NPIP papers taken care of.
3. What about any other health papers?

If my son wants to show also, will he have to have his "own birds"? Ones that he has cared for.

Thanks for any answers.
smile.png

You picked a great breed to start showing-OEGBs are VERY popular at shows.
I can answer a couple of your questions, I think.
You do need your own leg bands(you can get them from almost any hatchery or someplace like Smiths Poultry).
No, you don't have to be a member to show, I'm not a member of the APA(not sure why) but I am a member of the ABA and the NCBA.
Now the paperwork depends on what state you're in, I think. It's good you got your NPIP, but it may vary from state to state on other paperwork.
As far as the part about your son showing, he does need his own birds to show-although I'm sure most of the kids that show in the juniors have, at least, some help in caring for their birds.
It's a really fun thing to do and it'll be great for your son to get into.
Good luck!

Those question were answered. Thanks sooo much.

I think in the near future, I will buy him some birds of his own.

Last edited:
Next question.

When points are awarded for a placement.... Who earns the points, the bird or the person?

If I'm a novice and my birds wins, the points go to me. When I earn so many points, I'm no longer a novice? Right?

Does a bird rack up points or is every show a "new show"? I'm comparing to dog shows, where a dog my take years to earn a championship. I hope this makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom