Solved Some thoughts about the article section

For speed testing the location reported is the location of the server, not your location. Server selection depends on multiple factors including availability and whether your ISP/provider is directing you to a server managed and optimized by them in the hopes of giving you a artificially better result that matches what you're paying for.

For third party speed tests (ookla, mlabs, fast) in most cases your IP address is looked up in a geo database and something supposedly close is selected. But that is reliant on the geo databases being correct. For me (bay area, CA) my IP often shows up as being in central or southern california (for example https://whatismyipaddress.com/ ). That's simply lack of detailed updates by the carrier and/or using a cheap/free geo database. Typically when I speed test the server chosen is in Los Angeles 2023-08-13 15_47_10-What Is My IP Address - See Your Public Address - IPv4 & IPv6.png

There are other alternatives to using a geo lookup, but those require additional setup and maintenance and for a speed test that's not worth the time, effort, or cost.

This is all moot though if you're getting good speed to something quite some distance from you that is good news and more reflective of the speed you'll experience.

BTW most of you have way better internet than we have here. I'm jealous😢

For speed testing the location reported is the location of the server, not your location. Server selection depends on multiple factors including availability and whether your ISP/provider is directing you to a server managed and optimized by them in the hopes of giving you a artificially better result that matches what you're paying for.

For third party speed tests (ookla, mlabs, fast) in most cases your IP address is looked up in a geo database and something supposedly close is selected. But that is reliant on the geo databases being correct. For me (bay area, CA) my IP often shows up as being in central or southern california (for example https://whatismyipaddress.com/ ). That's simply lack of detailed updates by the carrier and/or using a cheap/free geo database. Typically when I speed test the server chosen is in Los Angeles View attachment 3608504

There are other alternatives to using a geo lookup, but those require additional setup and maintenance and for a speed test that's not worth the time, effort, or cost.

This is all moot though if you're getting good speed to something quite some distance from you that is good news and more reflective of the speed you'll experience.

BTW most of you have way better internet than we have here. I'm jealous😢
You are welcome to come visit me and use my internet at any time under one condition...you bring the Jath.

I wonder if it's the devices more than the speed? I'm on a desktop PC and have no issues with a trickle of internet compared to most here. We are in the boonies, so have our own tower to get wireless about 6 miles away as the crow flies. The pictures here load up fine.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-25 092153.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-08-25 092153.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 3
  • tower arialjpg.jpg
    tower arialjpg.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 3
I wonder if it's the devices more than the speed? I'm on a desktop PC and have no issues with a trickle of internet compared to most here. We are in the boonies, so have our own tower to get wireless about 6 miles away as the crow flies. The pictures here load up fine.
I just did some testing.

All tests were performed in the same room.

3 internet providers are involved

Xfinity
T-Mobile home Internet
And T-Mobile Cell phone service/internet/data/5G

3 different devices used.

Google Pixel 6Pro
iPhone 14 Pro
And a fast Windows desktop

First up is iPhone on Xfinity and TMobile 5G data.
PXL_20230826_180943981.jpg
PXL_20230826_181012890.jpg

Google Pixel on TMobile home and data
Screenshot_20230826-130313.png
Screenshot_20230826-130405.png

Computer on T-Mobile home
PXL_20230826_180602179.jpg

So yes...not only does the Internet provider make a difference so does the device.

Back
Top Bottom