Somebody please help!

quackiemama

Free Ranging
Dec 26, 2018
MARYLAND
I have one Indian Runner female that has started losing her feathers and looks kind of scraggly. I noticed yesterday several of her feathers in the run. I do have 2 other Indian Runner females that are the exact same age and they seem perfectly fine. They are roughly 10 months old. Is she sick or going through another moult or getting picked on? I also have a Mallard drake and female that are about 6 weeks older than the runners. I am a worried fairly new duck mama.

I have one Indian Runner female that has started losing her feathers and looks kind of scraggly. I noticed yesterday several of her feathers in the run. I do have 2 other Indian Runner females that are the exact same age and they seem perfectly fine. They are roughly 10 months old. Is she sick or going through another moult or getting picked on? I also have a Mallard drake and female that are about 6 weeks older than the runners. I am a worried fairly new duck mama.
My 10-month-old Easter Egger went through a molt when her sisters at the same age did not. Since I am new to keeping chickens I was concerned. She came through fine and is finally looking like her old self again. When her feathers were coming back in, the other chickens pecked at them and caused a bloody mess. I brought her inside and gave her an Epsom salt bath, pulled the broken feathers and kept her in a dog crate inside for a few days. Her feathers looked better and they left her alone after that. She still won't let me come near her! Was not happy about being inside! Good luck!

Ok I hope I uploaded these pics ok. All of my ducks run when they see the phone coming out for some reason. Fingers crossed she is just molting. I noticed she does not have as much fawn coloring as the other 2 runner girls either like she used to. I am clueless

Attachments

• 20190108_133306.jpg
    20190108_133306.jpg
    488.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 20190108_133659.jpg
    20190108_133659.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 15
CrystaBub I have not noticed her scratching her head or actually see her losing any of the feathers. I just started noticing she was not looking right and she has been more vocal than normal like almost crabby. And she was my last one to start laying. She was like 4-6 weeks behind the other runner girls. From day 1 she has been the one I always worried about but she always ends up being fine I guess. She is often the 1st one my drake mounts in the morning so he is "extra" excited and can be a little rough. Could that be why? Or do you still think she is molting? And if so could that be why she was so behind laying? Or am I thinking too much? I can tell you what my husband would say. Ha! I really appreciate your help and experience.

OH yes sorry I missed that you had a drake! She could be over-mated... Do you have a way to separate her where she can see everyone but he can't get to her? If she's still losing feathers then it's likely molt and not over-mating... I don't blame you- I worry over everything with my babies! How can you not?!? :D

Hmm I will see what I can do to keep them separated. I can't tell because she otherwise seems happy and normal. She does her little happy dance every time she hears my voice which is so very cute. I am leaning towards her molting but will keep on eye on Leonard to make sure he is sharing his love with the other 3 ladies as much as he is with her. :love

Back
Top Bottom