Somebody stop me!!!

Mvan42

Crowing
5 Years
Mar 15, 2019
Garrett County, Maryland
So I am doing a stagered hatch. I really want to candle the eggs that were first set again. It's day 10 for them. the others its only day 4 so I won't bogher them yet.. I keep telling my self to wait until I can candle all of them on day 14 and 7 (for the other set) BUT, when I candled the first set I couldn't see much on day 6 (a day early because of setting the others)
So somebody stop me from candling when I get home. Hide the incubator from me or something. lol

So I am doing a stagered hatch. I really want to candle the eggs that were first set again. It's day 10 for them. the others its only day 4 so I won't bogher them yet.. I keep telling my self to wait until I can candle all of them on day 14 and 7 (for the other set) BUT, when I candled the first set I couldn't see much on day 6 (a day early because of setting the others)
So somebody stop me from candling when I get home. Hide the incubator from me or something. lol
I say candle... candle more and get familiar with what you are seeing! ;)

Practice makes things so much more reliable and discernible in my experience.

Now I do think patience is key come hatch time and don't recommend excess intervention. But early on the slight variance in temp can actually benefit the embryos.. just like the hen leaving for a quick nourishment and stretch. Plus let's be real... it's kinda exciting! :wee

If you are having a hard time seeing... make sure your room is super dark. My cell phone flash light is great. What color eggs are you working with? In lighter eggs I can often see hint's by day 3, Darker blue or Marans eggs are challenging for me so I candle them less often. I think candling is not recommended between day 10-14, something to do with orientation. Some ignore that without issue, I don't push my luck though. Nice hatching resource link in case you haven't already seen it...
Incubation guide

Happy hatching! :jumpy:jumpy

They are light eggs, BRLW. Not sure why I couldn't see anything, I am thinking they were just not in the right area. Thats why I am tempted to candle again to check. I don't want a blow up... lol

@Mvan42 I would do it so I'm no help in encouraging you to do otherwise, lol. I'm just careful to wash my hands thoroughly before handing the eggs and I always have a folded towel under me where I'm candling, just in case of fumbles. Good luck on your hatch!

I think candling is not recommended between day 10-14, something to do with orientation. Some ignore that without issue, I don't push my luck though.

Does it count if I didn't know this rule existed? LOL

I'm a candling freak, and probably need some sort of intervention. It's too fascinating to resist. :oops:

You and me both, I love seeing the different stages of development! It doesn't seem to matter how much I hatch, I never get tired of it!

Back
Top Bottom