somebody with knowledge of the color calculator

kfacres

Songster
10 Years
Jul 14, 2011
I've not been exposed to it enough, and can rarely get on it anyways... could somebody do some crosses and let me know what percentages I could expect?

Male-1- pure black laced red
Male-2- black laced red, carrier of recessive white
Male-3- blue laced red, carrier of recessive white, hatch mate to above male
all single laced

Females- white laced red, black leakage, recessive for black laced red- dominate for white- some double laced, some single laced.

I'm going to guess, and say that I would result in black laced red, blue laced red, white laced red, blue, or black chicks, and maybe even whites. Also, single and double laced chicks would result.

What would the offspring look like F1's of each colore mated back together?

If it matters, these are Cornish LF.

Quote:
Just play with it untill you get the hang of it, its like learning how to ride a bike, but this time you wont get hurt..
tongue.png

edit.. Try with simple crosses at first..

Last edited:
Quote:
KFacres,
The calculator is handy once you know how to manipulate it and if you know what your birds genetic base and additional genes they carry really are, Otherwise it a good guess at the base of a bird but not always correct.
Take Black for example: If you choose a black in the calculator it provides an extended black by default, the blacks I raise are Birchen, however I know another gentleman who raises a wildtype partridge based black. Its all about what you really know about your birds to get the right results.
Given that I doubt someone else can accurately tell you the results of the matings you are discussing.
From what I know of the Cornish the BLR was originally introduced by crossing with a wyandotte, some of what you think is there may not be quite right. start slow and run small test matings (25-50 chicks from each mating) record your results, document chick down, document any abnormal colored or un-expected birds. Raise them all to see which mating gave you what you wanted then reset that breed pen to reproduce them.

Quote:
KFacres,
The calculator is handy once you know how to manipulate it and if you know what your birds genetic base and additional genes they carry really are, Otherwise it a good guess at the base of a bird but not always correct.
Take Black for example: If you choose a black in the calculator it provides an extended black by default, the blacks I raise are Birchen, however I know another gentleman who raises a wildtype partridge based black. Its all about what you really know about your birds to get the right results.
Given that I doubt someone else can accurately tell you the results of the matings you are discussing.
From what I know of the Cornish the BLR was originally introduced by crossing with a wyandotte, some of what you think is there may not be quite right. start slow and run small test matings (25-50 chicks from each mating) record your results, document chick down, document any abnormal colored or un-expected birds. Raise them all to see which mating gave you what you wanted then reset that breed pen to reproduce them.

Are you kin to any Jarvis' from Missouri? I married a Jarvis
smile.png

for some reason, the color calculator only works on either one of my computors about 2 out of 10 times... most of the time is shows up as an error.

Quote:
KFacres,

Are you kin to any Jarvis' from Missouri? I married a Jarvis
smile.png

that is very possible, the family came through there.. and My grandfather was one of 16 kids of which I only ever met 1 and they lost track of each other. My father was 1 of 13 of which he can only locate 3, the Family scattered all across the US..

Back
Top Bottom