Someone dropped this baby off in a box

newtimer

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 7, 2015
About 3 hours ago I notice 1 baby duck chirping and then see a box. Any tips? Don't know what kind it is. There are ducks here but they don't pay any attention to it. He/she folllows me EVERYWHERE.
[/IMG][/IMG]

Dont you love when people are responsible with their pets?
roll.png

Looks like a little mallard duckie! Obviously he likes humans, lucky you
wink.png
. Do you own the other ducks? What kind of tips are you looking for? have you raised ducklings before?

Last edited:
I don't own the others. Its a pond right in front of my apartment. The others here are Muscovy's. There used to be 8 American buff geese but they hauled all of them but 1 off...that's a whole nother subject. This 1 acts like a dad to the Muscovy babies when they're around so I'm hoping he will take to this one. I think he thinks we are his parents because we were the first he saw after getting dumped? And I guess I forced him into liking people cause I have been picking him up and carrying him everywhere
1f61d.png
. I absolutely HATE people who can do something like this. This baby found the right person though because I have "animal lover" tattooed on my forehead. But...he's (everything is a he to me at first lol) crying I guess for his mom or siblings? Will he be okay? Is there something I should do to make him more comfortable tonight? I've never raised ducks.

I don't own the others. Its a pond right in front of my apartment. The others here are Muscovy's. There used to be 8 American buff geese but they hauled all of them but 1 off...that's a whole nother subject. This 1 acts like a dad to the Muscovy babies when they're around so I'm hoping he will take to this one. I think he thinks we are his parents because we were the first he saw after getting dumped? And I guess I forced him into liking people cause I have been picking him up and carrying him everywhere
1f61d.png
. I absolutely HATE people who can do something like this. This baby found the right person though because I have "animal lover" tattooed on my forehead. But...he's (everything is a he to me at first lol) crying I guess for his mom or siblings? Will he be okay? Is there something I should do to make him more comfortable tonight? I've never raised ducks.
He needs a brooder, a box with a heat lamp, to keep him warm

Okay I will do that. How old would you say, I've seen tons of baby ducks here and they are about this size around a week or 2 old. I just wonder why this person did it. They put him at the creek that runs along the pond (no one knows there's a creek unless you've been here or lived here) which makes me even more mad. Do they sell these ducks or could it have been someone's ducks who had babies?

Ok, great. Make sure its the right temperature, around 90-95 F. A box works fine, and youll need to put some shavings down
I would say about a week old...They sell these often at Tractor supply, so my guess is someone bought it, got tired quick, and dumped it. As if he could just live at the creek with out a mommy...
barnie.gif
people!

I was clipping flowers and he wiggled under me

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom