Someone gave us a Chicken, but what is it?

schlitch

In the Brooder
12 Years
Aug 2, 2007
Raymond, Mississippi
We received our first Chicken from a city family last week. I've been attempting to identify the breed via the internet but haven't been able to figure it out. I'm including this picture that I took and am hoping that some of you have some ideas. We were also thinking that it also might be a rooster, but after reading that hens crow too we aren't sure at all. The family that brought it to us say that their daughter brought it home around easter, so it appears to be about 4 1/2 months old.

I'm looking forward to hearing what you all think.

HaydenChicken.jpg

Looks like a easter egger roo to me.

Go to feathersite.com and look at easter eggers. I think thats what it is. It doesnt look full enough to be a wyandotte. And the colors not right. Plus it looks like it has beard and/or muffs

Last edited:
Maybe its a light Brahma/Ameraucana mix? Its colored like a Brahma and it looks like it has feathers on its feet, but brahmas have yellow feet and they do't have ear muffs.

It could just be a 'mutt'
lol.png

The gray/slate colored feet with only a few feathers on them, have thrown me off while looking as well as the muffs. It will be interesting to see how it changes over the next month or so.

I've been in the process of building a portable coup/chicken tractor for it, and once completed we will give it some companions.

Last edited:
Whatever he is, he is a purdy bird! You're dead on with the age since he has some tail feathers. Be sure to post his pic again once he gets older!!!

I was surprised how the flash of the camera reflected a shimmering green tint off of the tail feathers. I will make sure to post more pics in about a month or so.

Hayden2wks.jpg

When would the spurs start to develop on the ole rooster? I don't really see even the start of them on him at all, but boy does this one crow in the morning!

Back
Top Bottom