Someone Help a "released" Goose in Gadsden,AL

AuroraSprings

Songster
10 Years
Jun 18, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I was in Gadsden yesterday, behind the mall to pick up some chickens & have some snakes sexed, and found two Scovie hens and one young Pilgrim mix (?) saddleback goose. I tried to catch her, but without a net or enough people she'd only come close enough to eat the treats I threw out to her. If ANYONE can catch her, I will give her a home. I might can even help rehome the Scovie hens. They were quite friendly. Someone please help!

Yes, they still look in decent health. But they seem to have been dumped recently. The goose was all alone (no mate) from what I could tell. The native Canadians didn't let her near them and she chased all the ducks off except the Scovies. If someone has a net and a bit of food she'd be easy to catch. Can't fly too far, but do glide about 20 feet when spooked.

Yes, the Coosa River runs right behind the mall. It's a small "wildlife, walking, park" area, but there are obviously some non-native species there. Several "mule ducks", two Scoives and this saddleback goose. People come feed them bread all the time. There are native Mallards and of course Canadian geese. They aren't supposed to be there and I highly doubt anyone would care if you "rehomed" them. They were technically abandoned there in the first place.

Quote:
Some friends of mine kept a few pet ducks and geese on the pond by a local business; until someone thought they needed to be "rescued" and took them.

Our south property line at the WI farm is the White River, we have at times kept some waterfowl on the river- they would travel up and down the river over a mile, they would go up to the river park and people would feed them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom