Someone help! I think my chicken is dying!

Quote:
I'm sorry about your loss luvinrunnin. When we first got chickens, I never thought they could be so much trouble. Since summer started, all we've had is problems from our chickens. Bumblefoot, bad bumblefoot. Spent at least 2 thousand in vet bills....wondering if I should just give up....animals always seem to get sick and die in our house, even our parakeets, which we have givin lots of love and attention, are slowly dying off.....It wont be long before the rest of the chickens get sick and die.....what could we be doing wrong!!!!
barnie.gif

Whats the possibility of fowl pox? Because of the white spot on her comb? If it it fowl pox, how do I go about treating it?

Quote:
I'm sorry about your loss luvinrunnin. When we first got chickens, I never thought they could be so much trouble. Since summer started, all we've had is problems from our chickens. Bumblefoot, bad bumblefoot. Spent at least 2 thousand in vet bills....wondering if I should just give up....animals always seem to get sick and die in our house, even our parakeets, which we have givin lots of love and attention, are slowly dying off.....It wont be long before the rest of the chickens get sick and die.....what could we be doing wrong!!!!
barnie.gif

I'm sorry. I am betting it's just coincidence and that you take great care of your critters. I have horses, and have 3 with injuries right now. Minor, but still. My favorite filly got in the fence (for the SECOND time!) and really scraped her back legs up. One leg is wanting to stay a bit swollen after 10 days, so will have to start her on antibiotics, etc.

It's always something I think.

I am thinking that I need to learn more about biosecurity. I always wash my hands anyway, but am wondering if it's not enough. Just seems crazy because the larger chickens we have haven't had any issues, and of course the Seramas cost me a fortune where the wyandottes didn't.

Oh, and parakeets don't have a particularly long life span. Also, birds have a much more efficient respiratory system, so they are much more susceptible to fumes of any kind, pesticides, etc. When I had parrots, I was very careful about using teflon coated pans, and tried to avoid them because if they get too hot can emit dangerous fumes. By NO means suggesting that's the case with your little parakeet though.

The other thing to consider is where your stock came from. I have recently learned that 1. It's better to get good stock from a quality breeder, and 2. even those held in high esteem aren't always honest. So now I will only buy birds I have seen recent pics of or preferably, can go pick them up in person. Lots of times poorly bred/raised stock just doesn't have a good strong immune system to fight off normal ailments.

Hugs to you!!! And hang in there!
hugs.gif

Quote:
It doesn't look like Fowl pox, or at least the pics I've seen of it. It usually looks kinda like warts. But you can innoculate for fowl pox, and they usually recover find and are then immune.

I think this is unrelated to the bumble foot . I suspect she is coming down with a respiratory disease. Try doing a search on chronic respiratory disease.

She may have a yeast or fungal infection in addition to a bacterial infection. I'd keep treating with the antibiotics but add some probiotics and organic ACV. Would be nice if you can get ahold of some anti fungal pills like ketoconazole or diflucan. If not, use some yeast ointment for vaginal infections on the comb.
Good luck, I hope she gets better! I also think fresh foods like egg, yogurt and berries, sprouts and greens would help right now, instead of her regular feed.

Last edited:
Update on Ginger:

She was fine this morning, just sleepy. Couldn't tell if she was eating or drinking, but her poop was and still is really runny and yellow and green in coloring.

Now:

She is sooo sleepy. The white spot on her comb in turning black and her whole comb is swelling. The eye with the black thing on it is swollen and she hardly ever opens it. She reacts to strange noises; ex, I brought a plastic bag into the basement where we are keeping her, and when she heard the noise, she looked up with both eyes, but once she saw what the sound was, she went back to sleep. Also, her nose is running, and I'm concerned because when my mom was holding her, Ginger lifted her head and made a motion like she was swallowing water. I saw this happen to a day old baby chick, and the chick died because it's lungs filled up with liquid because of how it was drooping it's head, and I'm afraid that Ginger will drown before her vets appt. tomorrow. Could it be that her lungs are filling with liquid, or could it just be that since her nose in dripping, that there is drainage in the back of her thoat and she is swallowing that, because when she makes that motion, she is not really making a gurgling sound, like the baby chick, nor is she spitting out water or bubbles when she makes that motion, also like the baby chick????!!!!

Took Ginger to the vet thurs. morning. Said it could be a number of things, most likely lead poisoning. They were going to test her for it. This afternoon, we got a call that she passed away after a seizure and a failed attempt to revive her. We are still proceding through the lead poisoning tests as we have other chickens, and we have asked about an autopsy. THe coop feels strangely empty without her squaking and nipping at our toes and ankles.....RIP Ginger. We will all miss you!!!
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom