Someone please help me find a REALLY easy quilt pattern.

Here is a pic of my latest turning 20. I haven't taken iat to the quilter's yet. PM if you would like the dimensions to cut the pieces. You can by the pattern at a quilt store for about 7.50. It is very detailed and easy to follow. I would recommend getting it because it has variations in it so you can make crib size quilts.

13632_img_0167_copy.jpg

Jenna,

This is another Jenna. If you look on my site http://www.freewebs.com/snallygasterart and go into my gallery and then click on fiber arts - you'll see a quilt hanging that I did for a college-aged friend of mine for her b-day last month. I got pictures from her facebook and this is the easiest thing in the whole entire world...you take 8.5x11 pieces of cotton and iron that to the business side of the same size freezer paper. You then format a page with the pics (I can send you mine if you want - it's in Publisher) and print - you can print from a laser...I did - or the recommended inkjet. The only reason for the inkjet that I can see is the heat in a laser - could be bad if you're doing a lot of sheets all at one go...so simply wait in between.

Then you peel off the freezer paper and cut out your pictures and use as squares...you could do that on some of the lovely offerings you have received so far. It's a highly personalized quilt. You could use pictures relating to his hobbies or family or whathaveyou.

The other quilt on there is a lap size that I have done a number of times because it's the world's easiest (strip quilting the whole way) and I'm quilting disabled.

Believe me...if I did this - it's GOTTA be simple.

Beautiful quilts, Ladies! I'm a newbie but I have been on this site lots of times. I really enjoy reading your posts. I think most of our hobbies over-lap. We all seem to enjoy the other related hobbies. I am fortunate to live about 50 miles south of Hancocks of Paducah, but I shop for fabric mostly from Hobby Lobby with their 40% discount. My local sewing center is small but has beautiful fabric at a very reasonable price too. I went in a couple of weeks ago and a quilt just about knocked my socks off. It is "Armenian Tile." (You can goggle: Armenian tiles, quilt if you want to look at it.) It is my first paper-piecing and not as hard as it looks. I only make small wall-hangings using novelty and fabric scraps. I haven't been quilting very long.

Sorry about the long post. I'm still learning how to use this site. What does "subscribe to this topic" mean?

Thanks, Miss Prissy. I've enjoyed your posts many, many times. You seem to do just about everything. Do you also raise heirloom veggies? I love to garden.

About quilts--I've always sewed but didn't want to spend so much time making a large quilt. I have two twin tops ready to quilt, a Dresden Plate and a Butterfly, both using scraps. I love Hancocks of Paducah. It is a huge store and I could spend the day there. My DH tells me to take my time but he waits in the car so I do rush a bit. Their fabric is pricey, though, now about $9 a yard. I buy from their remnant table at $4.98 since I enjoy making wall quilts. They do have some bargains by mail-order. It took me about 6 years but I made a photo quilt using the log cabin pattern. I hope you will look at the "Armenian tiles" quilt. I started the mini wall hanging version. I know all of you would love to visit the quilt museum in Paducah.

By the way, are you familiar with the Joel Salatin farm in VA? www.polyfacefarms.com His book has so much knowledge.

The price of fabric can be pricey. I like using patterns that call for fat quarters like the turning 20 because local fabric stores often have fat quarter sales for 1 to 1.50. Which is nice. The quilt above is made with "kansas troubles" (they come out with a new series a couple times of the year to reflect the colors of kansas through the seasons. The colors are wonderful!) It is usually 8.99 a yard and up. I got all of the fat quarters for it for 1.50 ea at one of the monthly sales. The expensive part is having it quilted! My grandmother hand quilts, but she never has time to teach me. Her hand quilting looks just as good as the quilting machines.

Quote:
Yes, I am. I would like his seminar/tours but I like to keep my own money and not give it away. LOL

The Armenian tiles quilt is very colorful.

Dragracer: You have really found a bargain with your fat quarters. I've never seen prices like that around here. Your "Kansas Troubles" quilt is very pretty and colorful. I'm torn between 1930s fabrics and very bright, bold colors. My grandmother loved purple and so do I. Speaking of Kansas, I found a novelty piece of Dorothy in sepia tones. (All the bolts had bright Dorothy) I rarely do anything in browns but I'm happy with it. I need to have my hubby take photos--it's hard to describe quilts. I've given three away to special relatives.

An early quilt about 38" x 50" the little boy fishing pattern, gave me fits. I cut so carefully and the pieces wouldn't match. I didn't know then that using different xerox machines made different size pieces. I had used two different machines at work and mixed them up. Quilt making is truly a learning process, isn't it!

Miss Prissy, what breed of goats do you have? Many, many years ago we had three milk goats because our son had allergies. We had two Saanen (sp.?) and a Nubian. The Nubian was my favorite, especially since we didn't have to debud her--I hated that part. My DH said that was the best time in his life, having the animals and two boys at home. We would do it again if we were younger.

Back
Top Bottom