Someone please help!!!! Very urgent please!

Lexievans11990

Songster
Aug 18, 2019
North Georgia
Hello. My turkey. Tommy, 2 months old, has been sick for around 3-4 weeks. He is very lethargic, walks around with his eyes closed, lays around a lot and doesn’t get around much. He is eating a drinking fine. I have been monitoring his poop the past few weeks and it has been bright yellow - light green. It’s never solid, sometimes it’s diarrhea or very soft. I have been administering 20% amprolium (powder) in his water which is in a gallon bowl. I started out giving 1/5th teaspoons for around 5 days. No improvement. I turned to cayenne pepper. I mix it in his food and regular water. He eats and drinks a lot of it. Not much improvement. Still very tired, yellow green poop. I gave 2 teaspoons a try of amprolium. It’s been about 1 day since I’ve started that. Not much improvement at all. It’s really concerning me. I think it’s blackhead due to the yellow poop. But the funny thing is, one day he’ll act just fine then the next he’s just so sickly. Is this normal in the disease? Please somebody help me. I’ve ran out of ideas. I cannot take him to a veterinarian due to the high costs. I really don’t wanna lose him. Please somebody respond I tried posting weeks ago and nobody said anything. Thanks

Hello. My turkey. Tommy, 2 months old, has been sick for around 3-4 weeks. He is very lethargic, walks around with his eyes closed, lays around a lot and doesn’t get around much. He is eating a drinking fine. I have been monitoring his poop the past few weeks and it has been bright yellow - light green. It’s never solid, sometimes it’s diarrhea or very soft. I have been administering 20% amprolium (powder) in his water which is in a gallon bowl. I started out giving 1/5th teaspoons for around 5 days. No improvement. I turned to cayenne pepper. I mix it in his food and regular water. He eats and drinks a lot of it. Not much improvement. Still very tired, yellow green poop. I gave 2 teaspoons a try of amprolium. It’s been about 1 day since I’ve started that. Not much improvement at all. It’s really concerning me. I think it’s blackhead due to the yellow poop. But the funny thing is, one day he’ll act just fine then the next he’s just so sickly. Is this normal in the disease? Please somebody help me. I’ve ran out of ideas. I cannot take him to a veterinarian due to the high costs. I really don’t wanna lose him. Please somebody respond I tried posting weeks ago and nobody said anything. Thanks
It definitely worm, deworm your bird

Sorry can’t help you. Personally at this point I would stop the amprolium. Vitamins and clean water. Letting an animal suffer is not my thing so I may have put him down already. Hope things work out for you.

Hi, I'm sorry nobody responded to your request for help. I don't know who the turkey experts are but I will try tagging some of the most helpful people I know and see if we can't get you some help. Thanks for trying again! They'll either be able to help you or know who can!
@casportpony
@Eggcessive
@aart
@WVduckchick
@wyorp
Good luck with your little one!

Stop the Corid, only thing that it kills off is coccidia, and from what you've stated, that's been long dead for awhile now. Possible worm infestation though, medications containing Flubendazole is often recommended for a wide variety of worms. If possible, ask your vet for a float test to confirm a worm overload, since you cannot see their eggs in their droppings and rarely (although sometimes) can you see the actual worms in their poop. Since your turkey has been on corid for sooooo long now, he's sure to be suffering from a Vitamin-B deficiency, the medication works by imitating vitamin B which the coccidia need to survive. No vitamin B in the host (your bird) and the coccidia die. Chick Booster (TM) has a very long grocery-list of vitamins and minerals in it and it's my go-to supplement for chicks and sick birds. It's good stuff. I recommend a drop in the morning, a drop at night for a week and then once a day for another week.
I'll keep Tommy in my prayers for a speedy recovery.

If he has blackhead you need to get some metronidazole and Baytril. Metronidazole to treat the blackhead, Baytril to treat the secondary bacterial infection they get with blackhead.

You probably already know this, but blackhead is a very serious disease and requires swift, aggressive treatment.

I can give you links to buy both, but I am afraid he will die before you can get them.
:hit Please try to find a way to get him to a vet today or tomorrow morning. :fl

I have been in your shoes before with my beloved turkeys and peafowl with blackhead, so I know how heart wrenching it is. :hugs

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom