Someone please HELP!!!!!!!

Pics
Wow... So many things you could try, but taking her to the vet is what I could do if I could afford it. Some oil *might* help if there is an obstruction somewhere, but if you decide to give it, do it knowing that aspiration of oil could cause lipoid pneumonia. The feed store I go to decided to bed their peachicks on walnut shell one year and all of them got sick. I don't know if they had impactions in their gizzard or not, but I gave them all miner oil via a tube and within two hours they all started pooping tons of the walnut shell. All of them recovered, but I was very lucky that they didn't aspirate the oil.

How much does she weigh?

-Kathy

Wow... So many things you could try, but taking her to the vet is what I could do if I could afford it.  Some oil *might* help if there is an obstruction somewhere, but if you decide to give it, do it knowing that aspiration of oil could cause lipoid pneumonia. The feed store I go to decided to bed their peachicks on walnut shell one year and all of them got sick. I don't know if they had impactions in their gizzard or not, but I gave them all miner oil via a tube and within two hours they all started pooping tons of the walnut shell. All of them recovered, but I was very lucky that they didn't aspirate the oil.

How much does she weigh?

-Kathy

It might be the only option we have for her. She has of course lost weight. I need to go weigh her but probably around 4lbs

How many marbofloxaxin and amoxicillin tablets do you have? Just thought I should mention that a trip to the vet is not an option for my chickens due to lack of disposable income, so please don't feel like I'm pressuring you to go to the vet.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

How many marbofloxaxin and amoxicillin tablets do you have? Just thought I should mention that a trip to the vet is not an option for my chickens due to lack of disposable income, so please don't feel like I'm pressuring you to go to the vet. :D

-Kathy

I have a full human dose of all. Oh no I don't get that impression at all! I have a little disposable income but not much. My cat 13 days ago went in for surgery cuz she ate my hair ties!! So needless to say I'm at my witts end with these emergencies.

Wow... So many things you could try, but taking her to the vet is what I could do if I could afford it.  Some oil *might* help if there is an obstruction somewhere, but if you decide to give it, do it knowing that aspiration of oil could cause lipoid pneumonia. The feed store I go to decided to bed their peachicks on walnut shell one year and all of them got sick. I don't know if they had impactions in their gizzard or not, but I gave them all miner oil via a tube and within two hours they all started pooping tons of the walnut shell. All of them recovered, but I was very lucky that they didn't aspirate the oil.

How much does she weigh?

-Kathy

I just weighed her. She is 3.6lbs so she has lost weight. She's always been small....she's all feathers for sure.

According to the books I have read, fluids should be given at 30mg/kg every 6-8 hours. She's 1.6kg, so that's 48ml every 6-8.

From: http://avianmedicine.net/content/uploads/2013/03/07_emergency_and_critical_care.pdf
FLUID THERAPY
Oral Administration
Oral administration is the ideal method of giving fluids. This method is more commonly used in mildly dehydrated birds or in conjunction with subcutaneous (SC) or intravenous (IV) therapy. Oral rehydration (30 ml/kg PO q 6-8 h) also may be used in larger birds (eg, waterfowl) that are difficult to restrain for parenteral fluid therapy.

-Kathy

According to the books I have read, fluids should be given at 30mg/kg every 6-8 hours. She's 1.6kg, so that's 48ml every 6-8.

From: http://avianmedicine.net/content/uploads/2013/03/07_emergency_and_critical_care.pdf
[COLOR=5E86B8][COLOR=5E86B8]FLUID THERAPY[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=231F20][COLOR=231F20][COLOR=231F20]Oral Administration[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=231F20][COLOR=231F20][COLOR=231F20]Oral administration is the ideal method of giving fluids.[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] [COLOR=231F20][COLOR=231F20][COLOR=231F20]This method is more commonly used in mildly dehydrated[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] [COLOR=231F20][COLOR=231F20][COLOR=231F20]birds or in conjunction with subcutaneous (SC)[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] [COLOR=231F20][COLOR=231F20][COLOR=231F20]or intravenous (IV) therapy. Oral rehydration (30 ml/kg[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] [COLOR=231F20][COLOR=231F20][COLOR=231F20]PO q 6-8 h) also may be used in larger birds (eg, waterfowl)[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] [COLOR=231F20][COLOR=231F20][COLOR=231F20]that are difficult to restrain for parenteral fluid[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] [COLOR=231F20][COLOR=231F20][COLOR=231F20]therapy.[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=231F20][COLOR=231F20][COLOR=231F20]-Kathy[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]

Ok. Thank you. If I can't take her to a vet tomorrow, I will try the mineral oil.

If she was completely blocked, would she still be pooping the green stuff??

Quote: I don't really know enough about the liver to know if that bile or digested food and bile. That other thread you found gives me hope in case I every get one with a suspected impacted gizzard. FYI, you're way ahead of that poster because you can tube feed, so you can very safely give your hen the amount of fluids and calories she needs.

The link above also says this (I bolded and changed text color of something I found interesting):

"ORAL NUTRITIONAL SUPPLEMENTS
Below are listed some of the oral nutritional supplements that can be gavage-fed to debilitated birds. Various hand-feeding formulas are on the market and, as a whole, are far superior to the homemade formulas used decades ago that contained monkey biscuits, peanut butter
and ground seeds. Commercially available hand-feeding formulas for baby birds are often utilized in the treatment of sick and debilitated adult birds. The quantity that can be fed at one time to a sick bird is greatly reduced from that of baby birds. On the average, a baby parrot can accommodate 10% of its body weight per feeding due to the elasticity of the crop and its rapid emptying. Adult birds have a greatly decreased crop capacity, averaging 3% of their body weight. Additionally, sick birds are less tolerant of food in the crop and care must be taken to avoid regurgitation and/or aspiration.

A sick or debilitated bird should always
have its hydration corrected prior to attempting
to initiate oral gavage-feeding.

Some formulas that are used and the indications for these are summarized below. None of these formulas is indicated in the presence of ileus. Many ill birds are captive-raised and were hand-fed, and these patients may respond to hand-feeding techniques (Fig 7.12). This facilitates both feeding and medication administration.

Carbohydrate Supplement

A simple carbohydrate powder (fructose and malt dextran) can be mixed with water, Tyrode’s solution or Normosol-R to make a non-viscous tube-feeding solution. This is useful for birds to resolve crop stasis because the thin consistency of the carbohydrate supplement mixture is more digestible than regular hand-feeding formulas. It also is useful for hypoglycemic patients or those with primaryliver disease. Another similar product is recommended for patients with primary hypoglycemia or for birds needing additional calories provided as highly digestible carbohydrates. Following rehydration in sick birds, the liver needs adequate carbohydrates to carry out its functions, so carbohydrates are next in line as nutriceuticals for ill birds. Carbohydrates are generally followed by a more complex oral nutritional formula within 24 to 48 hours."

Probably worth looking into a way to get simple carbs into her.

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom