Someone posted on here about picture red eye! PLEASE read this

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by smom1976, Feb 13, 2009.

1. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    Ok someone posted on here about when they had a picture taken and their pupil had a thing in it .. that there was something really wrong..

does anyone remember what that was about?? They ended up having something wrong.. what was it..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    As far as I know, the issues that can be detected through pictures are not shown by normal red eye. It is usually seen when an eye has red-eye or some odd look to it consistently in photos. Just having red eye in some pictures doesn't mean there is anything wrong. When both eyes look the same in the pictures, it is normal. You only need to have any concern when one eye looks significantly different in photos just about every time.

Here is an example in this link:

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/he...ye-cancer-detected-thru-e-mailed-picture.html

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Smoms, that looks like normal everyday red eye to me. If it were a problem, the eye should look different period.

4. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, I heard that it is when consistently one eye has red eye and the other doesn't.

5. timbofarms

timbofarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Humboldt/West TN
    My wife tells me its the evil side of me showing cause most pictures i'm in i have red eyes. [​IMG]
    Thats crazy. I'm the perfect angel. LOL;)

6. digginchicks

digginchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2009
    Sullivan, Indiana
    I think that pictures with red eye somtimes depends on the lighting in the room and your camera settings. I haddent ever heard anything about this.

7. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:I gree 100%
    plus best thing to do is just ask an eye doc he knows more than just average Joe.
    By the way I go to walmart and the eye doc there charge only about $35.
    Omran

8. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    From http://science.howstuffworks.com/question51.htm

The
    red color comes from light that reflects off of the retinas in our eyes. In many animals, including dogs, cats and deer, the retina has a special reflective layer called the tapetum lucidum that acts almost like a mirror at the backs of their eyes. If you shine a flashlight or headlights into their eyes at night, their eyes shine back with bright, white light. Here is what Encyclopedia Britannica has to say about the tapetum lucidum:

Among many nocturnal vertebrates the white compound guanine is found in the epithelium or retina of the eye. This provides a mirrorlike surface, the tapetum lucidum, which reflects light outward and thereby allows a second chance for its absorption by visual pigments at very low light intensities. Tapeta lucida produce the familiar eyeshine of nocturnal animals.

Humans don't have this tapetum lucidum layer in their retinas. If you shine a flashlight in a person's eyes at night, you don't see any sort of reflection. The flash on a camera is bright enough, however, to cause a reflection off of the retina -- what you see is the red color from the blood vessels nourishing the eye.

Many cameras have a "red eye reduction" feature. In these cameras, the flash goes off twice -- once right before the picture is taken, and then again to actually take the picture. The first flash causes people's pupils to contract, reducing "red eye" significantly. Another trick is to turn on all the lights in the room, which also contracts the pupil.

Another way to reduce or eliminate "red eye" in pictures is to move the flash away from the lens. On most small cameras, the flash is only an inch or two away from the lens, so the reflection comes right back into the lens and shows up on the film. If you can detach the flash and hold it several feet away from the lens, that helps a lot. You can also try bouncing the flash off the ceiling if that is an option.

9. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

The closer the flash is to the lens, the worse or more often you have issues with red eyes.

10. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by