Someone save me

Jul 20, 2020
This week has not been my week. It started off with a fire in our tack shed leading to much damage. Then all of my leghorn chicks passed of a still undiscovered cause. Then today one of my rosecombs tore up another’s back to the point of no return, then my only leghorn male. Who is imported and very very exspensive is now on deaths doorstep with a incredibly bad case of mites. I need something. Something to stop my chicks from dying, something to knock mean hens down a notch and a cure for chest and hackle mights. If anyone has any knowledge on how to fix anything please let me know. I’m desperate.

Attachments

• BC93D80D-9708-4BC0-B0B2-ADC0FF97DD7B.jpeg
    BC93D80D-9708-4BC0-B0B2-ADC0FF97DD7B.jpeg
    711 KB · Views: 18
Something to stop my chicks from dying,
Have you started a separate thread with lots of information about your setup, their symptoms, etc? We can't help you much if we don't have more info. I suggest starting separate threads for separate issues though, as tow topics can get confusing.
something to knock mean hens down a notch
You can seperate her for a few days were she can't see or hear the other birds. That can help lower her on the pecking order. I would start there.
cure for chest and hackle mights
Use Permthrin dust to treat them. You can find the dust on Amazon or at your local feed store. Theres a spray as well, but I don't like to apply anything wet this time of year to avoid chilling them. I prefer the dust for that reason.
Take the Permethrin dust and coat their skin very well under the hackles, around the vent, over the back, on their bellies, and under the wings.
I hope your able to help your birds! Good luck!

This week has not been my week. It started off with a fire in our tack shed leading to much damage. Then all of my leghorn chicks passed of a still undiscovered cause. Then today one of my rosecombs tore up another’s back to the point of no return, then my only leghorn male. Who is imported and very very exspensive is now on deaths doorstep with a incredibly bad case of mites. I need something. Something to stop my chicks from dying, something to knock mean hens down a notch and a cure for chest and hackle mights. If anyone has any knowledge on how to fix anything please let me know. I’m desperate.
Your rosecomb with the injured back may not be betind hope. I have seen some TERRIBLE injuries heal - injuries you'd never expect a chicken to survive.

For mites, you need to dust the bird with permethrin dust. I am sure you will receive more help later, but basically, you dust each bird down to the ends of the feathers. Get as close to the skin as possible. Do this in 7-day intervals at least two times and until the mites are gone. I then spray the coop down with permethrin spray. I have Gordon's permethrin spray, which uses a 1:200 ratio to water. With my case of mites, I dusted twice and three times for one bird, dusted the coop floor and nesting boxes twice, and sprayed the coop down once. Make sure to spray in between the cracks.

We did not want to wipe, rub or scrub the wound. So we made a saline solution using sterile water and put it in a squirt bottle. We flushed the wound thoroughly with this after removing every maggot using fine tweezers. Then we blotted her gently using paper towels.

Next we gobbed antibiotic ointment over the wound, paying particular attention to the margins of the wound so they wouldn't dry out. Be sure the ointment does not contain pain medication. Finally we sprayed the area thoroughly with Veterycin gel. This serves as a protective bandage and keeps the area moist.

We did this twice a day. Gradually the area began to shrink from the margins inward. We kept her in the house to protect her from flies, but some may advise keeping her with the flock so she won't be lonely. It's your choice, but do watch for flystrike if she's outside.

It was a happy day when we were able to return her to the flock, and she's fine now. She will never be soup, lol!

Aspirin can cause bleeding if there is an injury. It also may make the chicken who needs to rest a leg, feel more like using the leg. I would not use it for more than 2-3 days, since it can cause intestinal bleeding . Caines, including benzocaine, lidocaine, and pramoxine, have been used by vets in poultry, but it may be good to use with caution or avoid them, especially in large amounts. They can be toxic in large doses.

People give BABY Aspirin. Never adult. Only baby.
Aspirin is Aspirin - there's no difference in the ingredient it's the dosing.
"Baby i.e. Low Dose" aspirin is 81mg per tablet while "Adult" aspirin is usually 325mg.
Low dose or Baby Aspirin is 1/4 of a 325mg tablet.

Will, I'm sorry you're having such a run of bad experiences, but you're in the right place to get the help you need. I will tell you that earlier this year we had a hen injured by a dog, that got a pretty big hole in her back and we didn't expect her to survive. We didn't realize she was even hurt for about three days because the dog dropped her when we yelled at him, and by that time she had a bit of flystrike. But we got her through it and we're going to help you with your bird. Is it a hen?

Will, I'm sorry you're having such a run of bad experiences, but you're in the right place to get the help you need. I will tell you that earlier this year we had a hen injured by a dog, that got a pretty big hole in her back and we didn't expect her to survive. We didn't realize she was even hurt for about three days because the dog dropped her when we yelled at him, and by that time she had a bit of flystrike. But we got her through it and we're going to help you with your bird. Is it a hen?
Yes she’s a hen. My little shoe bird. I’ve had birds for 5 or 6 years now and I’ve never had this much bad luck.

Back
Top Bottom