Someone save me

Aspirin can cause bleeding if there is an injury. It also may make the chicken who needs to rest a leg, feel more like using the leg. I would not use it for more than 2-3 days, since it can cause intestinal bleeding . Caines, including benzocaine, lidocaine, and pramoxine, have been used by vets in poultry, but it may be good to use with caution or avoid them, especially in large amounts. They can be toxic in large doses.

People give BABY Aspirin. Never adult. Only baby.
Aspirin is Aspirin - there's no difference in the ingredient it's the dosing.
"Baby i.e. Low Dose" aspirin is 81mg per tablet while "Adult" aspirin is usually 325mg.
Low dose or Baby Aspirin is 1/4 of a 325mg tablet.

Aspirin can cause bleeding if there is an injury. It also may make the chicken who needs to rest a leg, feel more like using the leg. I would not use it for more than 2-3 days, since it can cause intestinal bleeding . Caines, including benzocaine, lidocaine, and pramoxine, have been used by vets in poultry, but it may be good to use with caution or avoid them, especially in large amounts. They can be toxic in large doses.
Thank you, Eggcessive.

Exactly why I just avoid all of it. Better safe than sorry (and since I'm not a vet).

Just as a note of hope, I've had a hen recover from a similar if not worse injury, in the same area. She recovered fully and even regrew the feathers. She was however never able to return to the flock and lives now in the old lady run with another flock reject that I removed before the same could occur (learning!). I'm under the impression that wounds like this are killing injuries, as in the hen who did it was trying to kill her.
I had my pullet heal from a nasty wound like that over the summer where I posted photos. She was coiled next to a water bowl on deaths bed. She did fully recovered and regrew her feathers. I separated her for a week in my house and kept applying neosporion and blue kote. I reintroduced her to my other flock with a rooster. She suffered another attack with the new group on her rump and recovered. The rooster took her in instantly and I have no idea who attacked her rump. Anyways sheā€™s good with the other flock and leads them all up two flights of stairs to come inside.

she was a failure to thrive , so I felt the other flock probably felt she was just different and attacked her.

Back
Top Bottom