Someone save me

Will, I'm sorry I fell asleep right after I posted last night. I will tell you what DH and I did for our hen and hopefully you can use some of our experiences to help yours. Stand by.

Last edited:
We did not want to wipe, rub or scrub the wound. So we made a saline solution using sterile water and put it in a squirt bottle. We flushed the wound thoroughly with this after removing every maggot using fine tweezers. Then we blotted her gently using paper towels.

Next we gobbed antibiotic ointment over the wound, paying particular attention to the margins of the wound so they wouldn't dry out. Be sure the ointment does not contain pain medication. Finally we sprayed the area thoroughly with Veterycin gel. This serves as a protective bandage and keeps the area moist.

We did this twice a day. Gradually the area began to shrink from the margins inward. We kept her in the house to protect her from flies, but some may advise keeping her with the flock so she won't be lonely. It's your choice, but do watch for flystrike if she's outside.

It was a happy day when we were able to return her to the flock, and she's fine now. She will never be soup, lol!

For the mites, it’s going to require a big clean up and staying on top of it for a few weeks. I would use permethrin dust everywhere in the coop, roost included and you could dab it onto the birds. I’ve had good success using ivermectin liquid on my chickens, to get rid of the mites. Just you will need to do an egg with-drawl.

Blue kote for the wound and cage the mean hen inside the coop.

cage the mean hen inside the coop.
Agree. We had a hen bully and did this, on advice from here on BYC. She was blocking the pullets from the roost when we were trying to integrate them, so we caged her at bedtime and overnight. Didn't really see problems during the day so left her free, but if she had been blocking access to feed and water we probably would have put her in the grow-out pen by herself during the day. We caged her for three nights, then released her. She behaved for one night then bullied again. We had to repeat the treatment twice more before she had an attitude adjustment, but she did!

We did not want to wipe, rub or scrub the wound. So we made a saline solution using sterile water and put it in a squirt bottle. We flushed the wound thoroughly with this after removing every maggot using fine tweezers. Then we blotted her gently using paper towels.

Next we gobbed antibiotic ointment over the wound, paying particular attention to the margins of the wound so they wouldn't dry out. Be sure the ointment does not contain pain medication. Finally we sprayed the area thoroughly with Veterycin gel. This serves as a protective bandage and keeps the area moist.

We did this twice a day. Gradually the area began to shrink from the margins inward. We kept her in the house to protect her from flies, but some may advise keeping her with the flock so she won't be lonely. It's your choice, but do watch for flystrike if she's outside.

It was a happy day when we were able to return her to the flock, and she's fine now. She will never be soup, lol!
This is her this morning. She’s active and eating. I put a salve on it this morning it’s not looking infected or anything like that. But I am sad to say that my leghorn male that I talked about in this thread did pass away this morning. I am really hoping for my hen to come through and the last couple of chicks out of that male.

Attachments

• 76AD46EF-7613-4F93-9744-AC2664BD94E4.jpeg
    76AD46EF-7613-4F93-9744-AC2664BD94E4.jpeg
    261.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 84111463-2E29-4F7D-BBEC-C5A0F9111592.jpeg
    84111463-2E29-4F7D-BBEC-C5A0F9111592.jpeg
    266.2 KB · Views: 3
Like others suggested above, throughly rinse the wound with saline solution, Chlorhexadine, or diluted Betadine. Than cover the area in a thick layer of pain free Neosporin, or other Antibacterial ointment.
What is in the slave that you are applying? If its Calendula or some kind of healing slave, it could be fine. Just want to double check. :) Clean the wound at least one time daily, and keep her separated. Don't wrap it or cover. Good luck! I'm sure she'll be on the mend very soon.

Back
Top Bottom