Someone tried to get in and our neighbor was robbed!

chicks4kids

Songster
10 Years
Apr 22, 2009
Northern Indiana
My neighbor came over today while I was out tending to the peacocks and told me that his riding lawnmower and tool chest were taken out of his garage either last night or the night before...he's not for sure. He has a huge german shepherd that guards the front door, but my neighbor didn't hear the dog bark at all.

So the police come up my drive to talk to me about, see if I heard anything, etc. etc. and to inform me to keep everything locked up because this is the 4th incident in 2 days in this country block!
ep.gif
Uh what!?!? So I called hubby at work to let him know what happened and he told me "remember last night when I grabbed the gun and went outside?" Yeah, I do, it's a normal thing he does...check around outside before we go to bed. Well he said he had shut off all of the lights to the house and went out to the garage to smoke a cigarette and when he came back in the house, he heard the front exterior door close--this is impossible to do on it's own. He said he truly believes that someone was on the front porch trying to get in, especially now since I told him about the neighbors stuff getting stolen...thank goodness he had already locked the front door. And this was only about 15-20 minutes after he shut the light outs...

So to my point, I'm looking into getting some game cams...but I don't want the flash to be noticable...I'm looking up the Moultrie i40 cameras and they seem pretty good. Anybody have any ideas or opinions on what would be the best thing to do here? Would game cams or a wireless security system be better?? I'd like to get the front door, breezeway and in back of the garage on camera...so I'm thinking 3 cameras.

Any ideas???

Quote:
I meant to post this last week, but forgot to do so. I was in Dick's Sporting Goods browsing the other day, and saw game cam locks. They look like bike locks, but are designed for game cams, to prevent them from getting stolen. Might be something to look into, and I don't think they were very expensive either.

Don't have any idea... but goodness. I was told that replacing our outdoor flood lights & porch light with motion lights helps to discourage intruders. I certainly know when anything is walking around out there tall enough to set it off.

We have motion lights on the front of the garage, near where the grill is/was and when I bought them (the lights) , I bought them with the intention to "not to go cheap" and to get good ones. I spent $100 on each light, one for the front and one for the back and the one in the front stays on constantly--even during the day. Hubby can't figure out what is going on with it. He has messed with the sensitivity levels and everything, but the darn thing stay on constantly. The one in the back works fine
hu.gif
That's just my luck anyway.

I'm wondering if there's a home security system that could be hard wired to our house that would be better....I don't know. Hubby has a friend that works for a security system and he'd be more than happy to sell us one, but we just don't know.....

Last edited:
I do know nothing about techno gadgets... but I have something that is supposed to be automated... and when the cord is a bit loose.. it stays on all the time, when I re-secure it, it turns on and off as its supposed to
hu.gif
Perhaps yours is having some wiring difficulty?
idunno.gif
If not.. perhaps you can send it back to the manufacturer?

Ooooh.. what about a low to the ground electric fence wire across where someone would need to approach? You could just turn it on at night, and hear when someone trips or yelps
tongue.png
Tee hee!

Well, it has been two weeks; have the thieves come back yet? It has been my experience that once they start working an area, they keep coming back until they are either caught or move on to greener pastures.

Rufus

I don't know if lights are the answer. My friend has had theft issues,and has found the lights to benefit the theives....they can see where to walk,lol.

I like the idea of a game cam,dogs,and a motion sensor with an alarm when windows/doors are opened.

Dogs bark, then the shotguns takes over.

We are 30 minutes at best for the police to come make a report (they arent here to protect you)

The alarms work, we just cant afford them or the monitoring services.

The Infared Cameras would be more stealthy but IMO, the regular flash kind would surely make one think if it went off. The locks they offer work, some are even Bear proof, but bank robbers are filmed daily so it isnt a huge deterent but could help.

We are always armed out here. The home invasion deal has become more popular. A few months back a rash of them occured, the pappers carried the story, a few days later the man tried again and the homeowner shot him at the front door. There has been a decline since then!

Back
Top Bottom