Something ate my chicken

River2

Hatching
Aug 27, 2016
I have two roosters that stay in a large fenced area with 6 feet fence hight and one foot in the ground. Sometimes the door of the coop which is in the fenced area is open. Last night I heard screaming at 3 am. I got up and shouted out from the window and screaming stopped. I rushed out and it was quiet when I went to the coop. I found one of the rooster really scared and snagged in a corner and all of his tail feathers was gone and I found the other rooster completely eaten up. Only the head, wings, legs and the large back bone (cleaned out of every bit of meat) were left. His head was separated from the body and seemed intact. I run out in less than two minutes after I heard the scream. I think one was eaten already and he was chasing the other one. I am wondering what it is. It must be a really good climber or it is very small that fits through a 1.5 inch opening. I did hear a dog barking at distance.There are no signs of digging under the fence but there are some bushes leaning against and over the fences in one corner. Entire place was full of feathers in the morning. I brought the surviving roster into the house and I am worrying to put him out before I figure out what is going on.

I would really appreciate any insight as to what type of predator this is.

Is the run open on top?
Was the coop door open when this happened?
What kind of fence is the 6 footer?
What is the "1.5 inch opening" you speak of?
Where are you located?

Could have been many things...and doesn't really matter what it was,
you'll need to tighten up security as it will be back for sure.

Numerous predators climb for a living. Raccoons for example climb trees, so a 6' fence with convenient footholds would not be an obstacle. I am assuming the top to your run is open, but you didn't specify. If it is open cover it with welded wire before putting the other roster back out there.

My money is on raccoon.
Now that it knows where the food is, it will be back.

Get a cage trap and bait it with dry dog food of marshmallows.
Do you have a way to kill them once you catch it?
In almost all states, relocating live raccoons or any other predator is illegal, so you will need someway to kill it.

Back
Top Bottom