Something ate my chickens leg. Should I cull it?

Pics

Chris-n-Kate

Songster
Mar 13, 2019
One of my chickens was hopping when I went out. His leg is gone. Theres a gaping hole i can see his inside body cavity and he smells like death and decay but he’s acting like he’s fine other then hopping and the missing parts. I tried to get a picture but it doesn’t look so bad in the picture.
2CC34843-1458-497A-ABB8-8B4EB59590DA.jpeg

She can live fine as a one legged chicken. If you can clean the wound, with a gentle warm water, and maybe some polysporin (anitbiotic cream around it), try taping the wound shut as best as you can. Put her in a warm dark box, food and water. And see how she does next few days. It may close up okay, if its not really bothering her its infection you will have to worry about for a few days.

How do you feel she lost the leg,and are your other hens at risk.

What if trying to rinse the wound puts water inside the body cavity?
I think a feral got it because the landlord (nearest neighbor down the road) is in the hospital, so she’s not here to put the feed/water out she normally keeps in her barn for the ferals. I noticed an excessive amount of them coming to try to eat the chicken feed lately.

What if trying to rinse the wound puts water inside the body cavity?
I think a feral got it because the landlord (nearest neighbor down the road) is in the hospital, so she’s not here to put the feed/water out she normally keeps in her barn for the ferals. I noticed an excessive amount of them coming to try to eat the chicken feed lately.

Its hard to say exactly how to treat it without seeing her up close. Do you best if you want to try saving her. Maybe you could arrange to have the food and water put out in your neighbours barn for the cats to get rid of the cat problem in your coop area. It's just that you say the chicken is hoping around like she doesn't seem too bothered by it. Go ahead place her in a box, in the house or your garage, warm, with food and water. See how it goes. I am guessing going to a vet is out of the question because of costs of course.

Wow....that is quite a shock to find. I am so sorry for this girl!

I think I would clean it as best as possible with a waterless cleaner, like betadine or hibiclens. Generous amount of Antibiotic cream, then you're going to want to wrap it for a while.

Make sure you keep her separated and safe from the rest of the flock, as she will be a target for picking. Go ahead and start giving her Nutridrench, and electrolytes to help boost that immune system

@Eggcessive @sourland @Wyorp Rock @oldhenlikesdogs @casportpony

I personally would cull. I cannot imagine the pain. It will be severely handicapped for the rest of it's life as well.

If you can see into the body cavity - intestines and organs visible - I would have to agree with @oldhenlikesdogs. If it is simply the leg that has been removed perhaps the bird could survive, but will need individual care and protection from the flock for the rest of its life. In a flock situation it will be a continual target.

Back
Top Bottom