Something ate my chickens leg. Should I cull it?

I appreciate everyone’s honest opinions on both sides. I did decide to try to save it. Upon cleaning, what I thought was insides was the hip joint. I put antibiotic ointment over the whole wound, started electrolytes solution and gave a part of a low dose aspirin. All vets are closed today and the farm store didn’t have on hand any of the types of antibiotics that I have seen mentioned for poultry. She’s eating and drinking and staying in the “hospital cage” in the house. Tomorrow I will inquire at the vet office that works with farm animals to see what antibiotics I could get there.

I appreciate everyone’s honest opinions on both sides. I did decide to try to save it. Upon cleaning, what I thought was insides was the hip joint. I put antibiotic ointment over the whole wound, started electrolytes solution and gave a part of a low dose aspirin. All vets are closed today and the farm store didn’t have on hand any of the types of antibiotics that I have seen mentioned for poultry. She’s eating and drinking and staying in the “hospital cage” in the house. Tomorrow I will inquire at the vet office that works with farm animals to see what antibiotics I could get there.
Keep us posted.

A 'domestic' but feral cat?
I doubt a cat did that.
Any other wounds on anywhere on the birds body?
They aren’t domestic like city stray. These are feral farm area cats. The landlord lady puts feed and water out in her barn which lures a lot of them to her property but you can’t get near them and I’ve seen the way they tear each other up fighting. Other possibilities would be coon, possum, or fox, but I think it happened during the daytime and those are nocturnal.

They aren’t domestic like city stray. These are feral farm area cats. The landlord lady puts feed and water out in her barn which lures a lot of them to her property but you can’t get near them and I’ve seen the way they tear each other up fighting. Other possibilities would be coon, possum, or fox, but I think it happened during the daytime and those are nocturnal.
These are not exclusively nocturnal, they can prowl during the day too.

Still... the size of a domestic cat as opposed to a bobcats or lynx or cougar.

It took a big, strong, and fast bite to take a leg off like that.
Fox, coyote, or dog.

Yeah, I'm going to agree with aart here. I doubt it was a cat. We have a lot of feral cats around here, and the most I've seen them take is a starling (small, obnoxious flying rat...wait, that's insulting to rats). Chickens tend to be the same size as feral cats, and have just as much weaponary as the cat does. A feral cat could not take a leg off a chicken.

Back
Top Bottom