Something ate my chickens leg. Should I cull it?

Yeah, I'm going to agree with aart here. I doubt it was a cat. We have a lot of feral cats around here, and the most I've seen them take is a starling (small, obnoxious flying rat...wait, that's insulting to rats). Chickens tend to be the same size as feral cats, and have just as much weaponary as the cat does. A feral cat could not take a leg off a chicken.
The adult chickens are the same size as the cats however this chicken is going to be 10 weeks on Tuesday and is a much smaller size then my full grown chickens, which is why I blamed the cats.

I am going to buy a trap but I’m not certain which predator you’re allowed to kill and what to do with the ones you’re not allowed to kill but don’t want around.

Keep us posted.
X2

I don’t see any marks other them where the leg was ripped off. The only predators I have seen are the cats. Which one of the other ones would take a leg and let the chicken just hop away?
If it makes any difference the chicken is not full size.
Maybe she got the foot/leg hung in something and the leg got ripped off. Mine that hung from her wing a good 24 hours probably would've been happy to have it ripped off. I hope she survives, I always like a fighter, always root for the underdog, and always pick the runts.

The adult chickens are the same size as the cats however this chicken is going to be 10 weeks on Tuesday and is a much smaller size then my full grown chickens, which is why I blamed the cats.
I am going to buy a trap but I’m not certain which predator you’re allowed to kill and what to do with the ones you’re not allowed to kill but don’t want around.
"Don't ask, don't tell" applies to this situation, IMO.

Yup Fox raccoon and dogs will hunt during the day. Raccoon mothers will most often be out during the day to avoid large males in the same territories. Also young raccoons that have left mother but not found their own territories yet.
Glad you decided to give her a chance! I have a pullet that needs special care and she is fun to have around. I don't even care if she lays eggs. She seems to be enjoying life to the fullest.

Update: the chicken is healing up nicely, eating, drinking, and pooping. The local vets won’t sell antibiotics without paying for a whole visit, so yesterday I asked the vets at work. They think I am crazy but hooked me up with 3 days of antibiotics shots!

Update: the chicken is healing up nicely, eating, drinking, and pooping. The local vets won’t sell antibiotics without paying for a whole visit, so yesterday I asked the vets at work. They think I am crazy but hooked me up with 3 days of antibiotics shots!
Great! What antibiotics were you able to get?

Back
Top Bottom