Something attacked my chickens this morning! ID?

What could it be?

• Weasel or Mink?

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Other predator?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Raccoon reaching through the wire?

• The pecking order?

• Other?

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
We left early in the morning to go to the ski hill this morning. We let the birds out like always and left. We got back at 12ish.
I ran over rot the duck pen were 5 the birds, 4 older hens because they get picked on, and a new sweet rooster, live with the ducks. I went to refill the feed, and every single one of the chickens living with the ducks, were bleeding! The rooster, Cosmo, was bleeding like heck! This whole neck was red, all the others were bleeding on there waddles, and under there chins. It wasn't to much blood on the ladies at first. I fed them, and ran back to the house for help.

I came out with a towel, and the WHOLE feeder was covered in blood! IT wasn't covered in blood before I left, as they ate from it, they began to bleed more and it dripped all down the feeder. It looked like a murder scene! I grabbed the 2 worst chickens, the rooster and the oldest hen. I cleaned then off my squirting saline solution down there necks. I never found the exact spot of the bleed, but I rinsed there whole bloody areas in saline so I an sure I got it.

Our duck coop doesn't have walls, it is just a wire dog kennel wrapped in chicken wire. I thinkteh attack happened after we left. I am thinking Weasel or Mink since none of the bird were injured other then the cuts and blood. The funny thing is, none of the ducks that live with them were harmed, and non of the chicken in the pen that is directly across from them. Just those 5 birds. Maybe they attacked each other? But that doesn't make sense because it was under the chin, and it doesn't seem like the rooster will be beat up that much if they were just attacking each other. I said new rooster, but he isn't the new. We have had them with each other for at least a moth with zero problems. I have never seen anything like this ever! I am so confused. If it was a Weasel, there coop is not secure to keep a Weasel out. They aren't safe tonight. I have 2 dog kennels, so not enough to house them and the ducks in our shop.

Any idea on what it could be? We can get a hold of a live trap soon. Any advice or info appreciated. Thanks! Avery

I know what I have to do to reinforce, but any ideas on what it could be? I am not interested in killing the predator, we have lived with predators around the coop forever, I think it is just part of having chickens. I know if I proof the coop and prevent further attacks then it will leave. Our cats have killed Weasels before to, so maybe they will deal with it. Thanks for any advice!

Could you attach pictures?
Of the area where everyone was when attacked so we can better understand your setup.
Weasels and mink will go for the neck and kill for sport.
I can, it is dark here so that sucks. I really ave no idea what to do for the night. I think I have some pictures from a bit back, but the same space I can find. Give me a second. Thanks for the quick response!

Do you have any rolls of chicken wire handy?
Could you make chicken wire walls to connect the dog kennels in your garage so that the enclosed area is bigger?
Maybe, I do have a baby gate on hand and I could probably use some other stuff to make a pen for them. The ducks, HATE me though. It won't be super easy to catch them, or carrel them. I could at least get the chickens in there for the night. Thanks for the advice! Avery
PS. Pictures in a second, uploading now!

Both coops look like this. My internet is really slow right now, so I can upload more pictures in a second.
IMG_6260.jpg

I need pictures of wounds to help. My predators never leave wounded birds so I'm no good at just descriptions
I couldn't actually fins the wound, or point of bleeding. I could only tell that they were bleeding from the waddles and under their necks. I could try to look again, but since ti is dark I can't imagine it will be that easy.

Back
Top Bottom