something attacked the coop and run while i was at work

backdoorchicken

Songster
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
newport news va
luckily it did not make it inside. the coop is covered in large scratches from something trying to claw into it. my guess is a dog since they(scratches) are so high up and 3 wide. we also live in a residential area. whatever it was it did not succeed on getting in. the tarp i use in the winter to keep cold drafts at bay had been ripped off and partially shredded. i added some reinforcements to the window and side door. i may go buy a small hunting still camera so i can at least get a picture of it.

Congratulations! You don't see enough posts about unsuccessful predatory attempts here. Your coop must have been secure! Yes, get a cam!
pop.gif

Well done on your coop construction. Although not a gambling man, I'm betting "it" will return for another try.

fort eutis is trying to get rid of coyotes I have caught bobcat at ragged island a friend of mie who also traps has caught coon , beaver and otter at kiln creek inbetween kiln creek and lee hall I have caught the same be careful I have caught muskrat and raccoon down near the shipyards 24th 25th street and near jefferson

we are off warwick blvd near oyster point rd. we have had foxes and hawks. deer come and eat our garden but i have never seen a coyote as of yet. i doubt they would make it to our area during the daytime. this was almost certainly a loose dog.

Sounds identical to my last attack. Tarps pulled down and chewed. Wire mangled (2x4 welded wire, bent, not broken.) Tons of slobber and some blood below where the wire was gnawed. NO ENTRY MADE! WooHoo! I had a game cam and rushed to see what I would be tracking down to kill - answer - my own dogs. The dogs will not even look at the chickens when they are out free ranging but nature got the best of them that night, and what with all the squawking and flapping (the bedding inside was covered in feathers where they were obviously hysterical, poor babies.) I bannished my dogs to their pen - now they only get out when we are in the yard to watch them. The guineas will sit on the top of the dog's 5' chainlink kennel fence and scream at them! LOL The dogs sit and stare up at them and wait on one to come to dinner. Dumb birds. It's scary but gratifying to realize that something tried it's best to reek havoc on your birds and your planning and prep was good enough to stop 'em! Congratulations! Well done!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom