something besides shavings

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by preacherman2, Feb 3, 2013.

1. preacherman2

preacherman2 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2013
    broward county fl
    what could i use beside wood shavings and sand i use straw now wood shaving is effecting my breath

2. americana-lover

americana-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Michigan
    I use straw in the winter, its warmer, and pine shaving in the summer.

3. 16 paws

16 paws Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello there,
    I have only used straw and it is working out great for me. What about alfalfa hay? Dont know if I spelled that right. I used it for my babies and that worked because it was softer than straw.[​IMG]
    Marie in Vista, Ca

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Many people will take things from their yards that are seasonal--dry leaves, dried grass, and pine needles are things I have used. You can put the leaves in a garbage can and step on them to break them up or shred them with the lawnmower. There are thicker pine shavings that one can buy--Tractor supply sells both the course and fine--maybe the course would have less fine dust for you.

5. Cknldy

Cknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    For the run/coop floor or nest boxes? I didn't know a thing about floor materials when I got my first chicks (hadn't discovered byc yet!) And dh didn't want to spend a lot of money. I'm old fashioned so I thought what did farmers of days gone by use? What would momma chickens use? Dried leaves from fall! That was the flooring I used all during chick days. Free, non allergenic for the most part, readily available and chicks/ chickens love any bugs in them. On sunny days I collected trash bags full for when it rained. As chickens in the coop my babes love it when I rake in a big pile for them. Just avoid leaves with obvious wild bird poo on them especially for chicks. Your chickens may like it better than the stuff money is spent on and your body will thank you too!

6. Rachy

Rachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    UK
    Sand is brilliant for a coop floor, and if you can get bird sand, even better as it has oyster shell etc added. It's tidy and easy to keep clean. [​IMG]

7. flyinhigh

flyinhigh Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2012
    On planet
    I used hay a few times however because - of the dampness here - the rat problems - the eggs sometimes get eaten or broken and it is a headache to try and clean them. I love using the pine shavings and find that sawdust is just too dusty.

8. Brookliner

Brookliner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Southern New Hampshire
  9. Jakoda

Jakoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Old Lyme CT
    I have used Lucerne Ground cover as well, and LOVE IT:) always smells nice and fresh.

Unfortunately I broke out in hives a few months ago, thought maybe it was the Lucerne, so I removed it all, started backwith shavings,,well I miss that Lucerne so I have added it again, and no hives yet (knock on wood)

10. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    You don't want to use alfalfa because it gets moldy and can kill birds. Even a few leaves of moldy hay can do a bird in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by