something climbed up high took out mother pigeon and two full grown young

animals1981

Songster
11 Years
Jul 19, 2008
Toronto
My Coop
My Coop
ate all 3 and then dragged them in holes??

I dont get it because I found a few dead huge male coons and caught one in a live have a heart trap but my dog broke the trap and killed the coon before i could relocate.

Rats I thought but my cat has killed 100s over the summer? Raiding their nests and dragging the parents out also (Bengal)

I dont get it. I thought maybe a weasel or mink but if it was one of those wouldnt he go after rats? My neibours have chickens as well and so do people across the street. I was the only house that did not get hi by predators. WE all help each other secure coops and make them safe. Guinea fowl never get touched ever. I have 3 traps set. Everything you can think of. Just wondering what it could be though. I cant see a male rat killing all 3 in a night. Rats usually take one big prey work on that before htting another.

Here is the thing something has been taking food out of my traps without getting caught. Mink? But this thing is a good climber also. Weasel would have been killed by cats by now. THe cats we pick are ones specially picked for hunting ability. I tried to set up a cam but cant get it to work. I find dead rats with heads ripped off every day. Weasel once also.

Also another thing. Raccoons. The big males got kiled really quick by the one dog we have. Coyotes never come here anymore after one got killed they got the hint and never fence hop near here. Dont coons get the picture if a more dangerous predator is there to stay away? In the wild they are afraid of wolves and bobcats. We have a fisher pelt here. I put it outside the coop and it did nothing. Most of the traps set actually were broken. After my cat kills a rat i stuff it down one of their holes outside.

Attachments

• ratfamily.jpg
    ratfamily.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 7
  • babyrats.jpg
    babyrats.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 6
  • rathead.jpg
    rathead.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 6
  • evavsraccoon.jpg
    evavsraccoon.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 6
  • ratfamilybasement.jpg
    ratfamilybasement.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 5
Here most of the predators roam at night. I see at least one on one of my cameras most nights. Here we have mostly coyotes with occasional fox, coons among other predators. I saw a bobcat once on a camera and caught it after it killed 14 birds. It made the mistake of coming back. When I catch a predator I permanently relocate it. We are rural on a dead end road and have at times been the beneficiary of other peoples relocations, even a baby goose was dropped off. Apparently someone didn't want it any more. Not sure what it was. If you have a game camera put it up because the predator will probably be back for more. Good luck...

Ate all three and dragged them into what holes? Rat holes????

Since you still have rats.....despite all the traps, dogs, cats and weasels........rats would be at the top of my list.

Back
Top Bottom