Something damaging eggs

dehmomof3

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 7, 2014
Southern Middle TN
Something has been damaging my eggs. The first thing I noticed was a clear liquid, similar to thick water, on some of the eggs. Then I started noticing a single line about 2" long in the shells like someone had taken a sharp knife and scrapped off a bit of the shell. It doesn't look like teeth marks from a rodent. It's a perfectly straight, smooth line. The eggs aren't broken or cracked. Today there were several eggs like that. Plus, there were remnants of a yolk and a small bit of shell in the nest.
I've noticed this both in the morning when I let them out and in the afternoon when I gather eggs. The girls have access to the coop 24/7.
A few weeks ago, I caught a field mouse in the coop. I knew he was there because I feed the girls scraps from the bread store. I give them half a bag of bread in the morning then leave the other half on a ledge they can't access. The field mouse was nibbling on the bread. No evidence of that happening lately. Plus, I'm thinking if it was a field mouse eating the eggs I'd have seen yolk and shells before today. No way they're big enough to eat an egg whole.
Any idea what would be doing this?

Mine are beginning to freeze and crack in a small line on one side of the egg but once they thaw a little the crack almost disappears. Is it cold where you're at?

I hadn't thought about it being a crack from the weather. It HAS been unseasonably cold but this started before that. None of the eggs I gathered were frozen yesterday and it definitely was not warm enough for them to thaw. Still, food for thought.

I'll try to post a picture. I'd like to determine if we're seeing the same thing.

Last edited:
I've had a hen that ate eggs before. I suspect that was the cause of the pieces of shell and yolk remnants.
barnie.gif

You will find that chickens will break the eggs more often in the colder months because they are kept in more. I have a group of them who get bored and I begin losing eggs. To help with that, I will give my chickens a seed block to keep them busy. I had been purchasing some blocks already pre-made but when I Googled it, I found some really great homeade recipes that look better and cheaper. I plan to try the homemade version soon - those seed blocks have helped in saving my eggs.

Good luck! I used to only have one doing it but I think she showed some others how easy it is :).

Back
Top Bottom