Something decapitated one of our A&Ms

beepbeepinajeep

Songster
10 Years
Apr 19, 2009
Piedmont NC
sad.png
Why would it stick its head out to be bitten off? Could a cat have done this? Another quail (regular coturnix) was injured & isn't walking. How do you decide to cull? It doesn't act upset, just isn't walking.
hit.gif

may have broken its back? I'd give ita few days before you cull though if you think you may...it may heal or get over it's shock. yes coturnix will stick their necks out of anything as long as it's wide enough. This is why I keep pens off the ground, and also put hardware cloth around the lower part so they cant do this
smile.png
Yes it could have been a cat or many of hte other numerous predators im sorry to hear about that
hugs.gif

Thank you. I guess we will put something up where they can't stick their heads out. We just thought if a predator came up they would have sense enough to not do that. I put food and water close to the injured quail and have it separated.

We Had Ours Doing The Same Thing, But It Was A Hawk. He Would Light On The Side Of The Elevated Pen And The Quail Would Come Over And Stick Their Heads Out To See What It Was, The Hawk Would Kill As Many As It Could.

I think it easily could have been a cat. We haven't lost anymore. I have started putting the water & feed in the middle of the cage too in case they were too close to the edge. Just in the last few days we have started getting two eggs a day again. I am inclined to believe that some of the others have come into maturity.

Back
Top Bottom