Something else ducks are good for

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by iamcuriositycat, Jul 9, 2011.

1. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Cleaning up dropped fruit! We have a number of young fruit trees and vines in our yard, and the peach tree was badly infested by worms this year. We were able to eat some of the fruit, but a great deal of it fell to the ground half-rotten. This could have been wasted and, worse, become an attractive nuisance for yellow jackets and other unpleasantness. But every morning, the first thing the ducks do when they're released from Fort Ducks is to run as fast as they can to the peach tree and clean up whatever may have fallen overnight. Problem solved!

I love my ducks. [​IMG]

2. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

My Pekins ate all the fallen plums off the tree in their yard. I didnt have many this year for some reason

3. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Between the dog jumping the garden fence and the ducks getting the things that just didn't ripen correctly, we've not gotten to eat much out of our garden lol
    But no fruit trees for them here. Yet.

4. AdamD77

AdamD77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Bedfordshire, England
    Unfortunately mine don't seem to find small cooking apples that have fallen prematurely too appealing [​IMG] [​IMG] One of them did kick one earlier though! By accident, but I still imagined she was playing football [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by